Chapter 1

I walked through the school hallway with my best friend Riley. Riley was tall and had the biggest chocolate eyes. Her strawberry blonde hair was shaped into an apple bob cut that reached her shoulders.

“So are you going to be able to pay him?” Riley asked, worried.

I shrugged and kept walking. I was in no mood to talk about that; all I knew was that I didn’t have the money. Not yet anyway, but I could always get a job.

I opened my locker and grabbed my books out. I headed to my first class. After walking inside, I sank in my seat and put my headphones in. I randomly started drawing on my book, not really paying too much attention to my drawing or the teacher because my thoughts were far away. How could I get the money in time? What job will I have to get?

Suddenly my earphones were plucked out of my ear.

“Maeve Evans pay attention or you’ll spend your lunch time with me!” shouted my teacher, before she walked back to her desk and continued her long lecture.

“Sorry Miss.”

She went on for what seemed like forever so I was relieved when the bell finally rang. Quickly, I gathered my stuff and shoved them inside my bag. Just as I walked out I accidentally bumped into some guy.

“Sorry” I said, not breaking my gaze on the ground and continued walking.

I moved to my next class, which was Math. Call me a nerd but Math had always been my favorite subject. And not to sound too modest but I was really good at math, plus we’d just do work and Mr. Wood didn’t talk much. But when he did it never came out boring. He tried make Math fun for everyone, which was quite hard to do so I commended him for that. 

“Hi Mr. Wood.” I greeted as I took a seat at my desk. I was the last to arrive to class.

“Hi Mae, guess what? You’re going to love this: we’re doing statistics today!” Mr. Wood replied, his eyes twinkling.

I groaned and was surprised that I wasn’t the only one. Everyone in the room groaned. Mr. Wood put on a playful, shocked face and put his hand on his heart. He exclaimed, “Guys I am offended, statistics are awesome!”

I rolled my eyes and some laughed.

“Sir, seriously, we don’t need statistics.” a guy from my class spoke.

“Guys, I have the paper right here and we do what I intend. C’mon it’ll be fun!”

Mr. Wood placed a paper in front of me and I started answering the questions, which were really easy.

As always, I was the first to finish and I handed my paper to Mr. Wood. I headed back to my seat and stared out the window at my reflection. My hair was pulled into a ponytail but some loose strands of my dark brown hair framed my face, my violet eyes staring back at me. I didn’t know how I got such a weird eye colour. The first thing people would ask me is how my eyes were violet and I would just shrug. It was just as much a mystery for me as it was to them.

Mr. Wood approached my desk and handed me back my sheet of paper.

“Good job Mae.” he smiled and walked back to his desk.

I looked out my score, and I’d gotten every single answer right. I smiled to myself; this was one subject I couldn’t fail. The bell sounded and I quickly made my way out to the cafeteria. I grabbed a tray and stacked it with nearly all the types of food on display. Then I made my way to an empty table and started digging into my food, waiting for Riley.

Riley was my only friend in school. It wasn’t that I couldn’t make any more, I just didn’t want to because it involved a lot of time and effort. Plus, I met Riley in Elementary School and she wanted to be friends with me first. It took me year to actually call her my ‘friend’.

Also, people thought I was an egotistic rebel and couldn’t stand me. That was all just a bunch of bull. I’d never thought of myself as a rebel, I had never even gotten suspended before! Okay, maybe once, but that was in middle school and the chick purposely chucked a ball in my face, of course I was going to unleash my inner beast at her.

“Damn girl, slow down!” Riley said, taking a seat in front of me.

I shrugged and continued pigging out.

“Where does all of it go?” She asked curiously, scanning my body.

“I don’t know, fast metabolism?” I grunted, food still in my mouth. I probably looked really unattractive now but c’mon, it’s food. 

She laughed and took a huge bite out of her sandwich. 

“You’re lucky. I have to go to the gym every Tuesday to get rid of my fat.”

I frowned. The girl always had body insecurities but she actually had the best figure in our grade.

“You’re not fat,” I stated.

“Hey, look at that!” Riley pointed, trying to divert my attention.

I followed her hand and looked towards a guy doing a back flip off the table. I rolled my eyes and turned back to my food. Food was way better then a guy chucking a back flip. 

*******

“Bye Ril” I waved.

“Don’t forget about getting a job!” She shouted back.

I mentally groaned and started walking home because my house wasn’t far from the school.

I arrived at my house and picked up the newspaper at the front door. Hopefully they had some decent jobs here.

I kissed my mum on the cheek and greeted her.

“Hi honey, is that the newspaper?” She asked.

“Yeah…”

“Are you going to read it?”

“Uhmm…” I hesitated, I didn’t want my mum to find out I was looking for a job. But then again, I don’t drive and she would most likely be the one who dropped me off.

“Yeah.” I muttered.

“What for?” She asked, curiously.

“I want to look for a job,” I gave in, sighing.

My mum looked at me, surprised, and smiled, “You know what? I have the perfect job for you.”

“Like what?”

“My friend is in need of a b….”

Oh no. Oh god. No she wasn’t about to say what I thought she was going to say.

“Babysitter!”

I gulped.

“It’ll be perfect! I’m going to make the phone call right now,” she said, heading out of the room.

I was still in a state of shock I couldn’t do anything. But my senses kicked in and I ran after her. “Mum, wait, no!” I screamed but I was too late. She’d already put the phone back down.

“You got the job. No need to thank me,” she said, grinning, and walked out.

I just stood there in mental shock once again. I didn’t want to freaking babysit kids!

--------------------------------

Author's Note:

So this is my first story, hoped you liked it :)

Vote. Comment. Fan ♥