Thea watched, confused, as Aphrodite’s face gentled. “Oh sweetie, I’m not here to resume that friendship — if you could call it that.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I know about Lissandre and the things she tried to keep from us; her grief, distancing herself from the Gods, all of that.”

Thea’s eyebrows raised. “You knew?”

“Of course. I spent more time with her than any other God. I could feel her heart hurting. I knew she only wanted to use me and I could see her inner pain slowly eating away at her, so I gave her what she wanted.”

“You let her do all those things because you felt sorry for her?” Thea laughed in disbelief.

Aphrodite shrugged, her hair falling over her shoulder. “That, and also because we were using her. I felt it was only fair she get to use us for something.”

“Surely you must have known that letting her do what she did to Hermes was wrong? I mean, you’re a God! You should know better!”

She stepped forward, clasping Thea’s hands. “I did know better, Thea, but in a way I was also trying to help them both. Yes, Hermes loved that girl but they weren’t destined for each other.” She emphasized the word ‘destined’ like that was the deciding factor.

“How can you possibly have known that?”

“Goddess of love, remember?” she spoke softly.

She had her there. “Oh, right. But he loved her all the same –“

“Yes, but it would never have lasted. I admit, I didn’t like matching that girl with that oaf of a boy but it made Lissandre happy and that’s all I wanted.”

“Did you really hate Hermes that much?”

“Look, he did –and still does - annoy me on many levels but hate is a strong word. While I don’t get along with him, I do know his heart.” She looked at Thea seriously. “Hermes was in love with Lissandre, did you know that?”

Thea took a step back. “But I thought it was only Lissandre who had loved him?”

Aphrodite smiled and shook her head. “No, they were both in love with each but too blind to see it. Lissandre knew she loved him but couldn’t allow herself to be involved with the Gods. That was her choice. Hermes — he was aware of his feelings but he didn’t know at the time that it was love, he just thought it was fondness because he had watched and protected her growing up. If I hadn’t intervened — and Lissandre’s life had been different — they would have found their way to each other eventually. Unfortunately, life doesn’t always work out like that.”

Thea took a turn about the room, trying to wrap her head around everything Aphrodite was telling her. “So, Hermes and Lissandre both loved each other, didn’t realise, and Lissandre ruined any chance of them being together?”

“Not all chances — after all he’s with you, isn’t he?”

Thea ran a hand through her hair, staring at Aphrodite. “Did you not think to tell Hermes any of this?”

“Oh sweetie, he would never believe me.”

“He deserves to know the truth,” Thea protested.

“He does, but I don’t think hearing it from either of us is a good idea.”

“But he can trust me –“

“He does trust you, Thea, but after talking with me, he’s just going to think I’ve brainwashed you with some ridiculous story. You know I’m right.”