Chapter One

You can do this. Another party. Another speech. Another drink and you're done. Taking a deep breath, Aurora stepped out of her car, smiling at the gate man as he kindly closed her door.

Her red dress flowed down, sweeping the floor as she took big steps towards the door. Take normal steps, goddamit. She didn't understand why she was so nervous. It wasn't her first party, it certainly wasn't her last.

Then why did she feel like people were going to laugh at her as soon as she would enter when on the contrary, it was a party to mark her success?

"Miss, this way." The man spoke as he opened the door, which buzzed with voices of people kissing the asses of the ones who were senior to them in post. Sweet music of the piano rolled by, mixing with the clatter of glasses and talks of people. She felt eyes on her and the smiles told her that they admired her.

"Aurora!" A loud and joyous voice called out from among a big crowd, as the people started to hustle to let the a tall old man come forward.

Aurora smiled, walking towards him as he pulled her into a warm hug. People who didn't know them would think a father was hugging his daughter because of the pride that reflected through his blue eyes, but people who actually knew them knew that Michael Salazar was nothing less than a father to her.

"I thought this was just a small party for a few. " She whispered accusingly, causing him to smile. "This is a big gathering for you? Oh my love. You haven't seen my big gatherings." He spoke, letting his hand settle his blue velvet coat.

Aurora smiled in return, as she turned to see the people that surrounded them. The usual ones of course, who were always present to flatter Michael.

She hated these kind of people, who thought that by simply buttering someone up and not actually working hard could get them somewhere. What was more amusing was that they actually believed that Michael didn't understand why they constantly praised him. It was fun to see how they would jump at every word he spoke.

Her brown eyes examined the crowd and as usual, she knew Reece was not here. A knowing smirk formed on her lips at the thought that he might be sulking in a corner at his house.

What she didn't understand was why was he so upset, again! It wasn't like she had defeated him in World War Two or something. It was a business deal. The competition just made it fun. It wasn't anything serious.

Michael proudly walked to the center of the hall, and even before he had spoken the first words on the mic he held, people were already beginning to shush. Then again, he was the owner of a multinational company, this sort of attention was not uncommon.

"You all know why we are gathered here today. And to the few ignorant jerks who don't, let me tell you." A small giggle of praise was heard causing Rory to roll her eyes.

"We are here to celebrate with a glass of champagne, the newly achieved success of my superstar, Aurora!" He pointed his glass to her and immediately a round of applause thundered around the room.

"Come on up here champ. Tell these people how to do business.”

Aurora's lips curved into a smile but the men who doted on her knew that it wasn't the only curve on her body.

The young 23 year old was an object of praise and adoration. Not only for her work but also for her beauty. Long brown hair that complemented her big brown eyes, she was beautiful if she wanted to be.

She walked up to him as he handed her the mic. All eyes looked at her with eagerness as she clutched the mic. Speeches were not a big deal for her. She had given many of them, but the words that had to be spoken were difficult.