Chapter 30

I must note that Daryl's part in the last chapter is three days AFTER Lorna's parts. So Lorna had the baby three days before he received Shane's letter.

Italics are three days before.

There is a death in this chapter!
THIS COULD BE HARD FOR SOME TO READ DUE TO WHAT IS WRITTEN!

•••

"The baby's coming." Will said, in complete surprise.

Lorna was gasping for breath, completely exhausted and in constant pain. "Just call for help, please."

He slapped the side of her leg hard, causing her to cry out in even more pain.

"Get on with it." He shouted.

Lorna pushed again, unable to contain her cries of pain.

She pushed one final time as Will took the tiny baby in his hands

"It's here. What do I do?" Will asked as he held the limp baby, his hands shaking as he stared down at then body. "It's a boy." He whispered.

"Is he okay? Is he breathing?" She asked breathlessly as she attempted to sit up.

He shook his head.

"Pass him here." She ordered, holding her hands out.

He handed her the baby and stood up.

"Need something to clamp and cut the cord with." Lorna said calmly as she tried to wipe away the blood and mucus on the little boy. "And a clean towel. Hurry up or he's going to die!" She shouted.

Lorna could only cry as she tried her hardest to get the baby to breath. Will returned handing her a towel. She rubbed the baby gently, unsure of what to do. "He's not breathing." She cried. "You have to call for help!"

"I can't! I can't!" He shouted. He dropped the scissors on the floor and began to make his way up the stairs.

"You have to help him!" She shouted. "Help him please!" She cried.

"I can't." He stammered before slamming the door shut. She heard the door lock behind him.

"Don't leave me!" She shouted. "Please!"

"He's not breathing!" She screamed.

Daryl had never ran so fast, he finally made it to his fathers street, sweating and panting as he ran down to the path to the door.

He began to pound on the door. "Lorna! Lorna!" He shouted.

He couldn't hear any sound inside, he tried the door only to find it locked. Luckily the door wasn't the sturdiest from all the times his father had fallen into it drunk out of his mind. He managed to break the door open, shouting Lorna's name as he walked around.

There was no sign of her anywhere.

"Lorna!" He shouted.

He went to the basement door which still had the keys in the lock.

He unlocked the door and was hit with a smell that made his gag.

Dried blood and death.

He could hear the sirens getting closer as he slowly made his way down the steps, gasping at the sight.

Lorna was laying on the floor, pale and sweating with no clothes covering her lower half.

In her arms he could see a small arm sticking out from the blood stained towel.

"Lorna?" He called out as he covered his nose from the smell with his shirt.

"Lorna please." He begged as he stepped closer.

She made no movement at all.

He walked over to her, dropping on his knees just inches from her still body.

"Please, wake up." He begged as he placed his hand gently on her cheek.

"I couldn't...save him." She whispered, her eyes closed, her body shaking.

He could hear the movement above him.

"Down here! Help her please!" Daryl begged as he stood up from the floor.

Police officers appeared at the top of the basement stairs.

They pushed past Daryl and towards Lorna and the baby.

One officer checked Lorna while the other tried to prize the baby form her arms.

"No." A weak whisper came from Lorna as she tried to fight of the officer taking the baby. "Leave him."

"Get the EMTs here now!" The officer with Lorna ordered.

Daryl stood in the shadows watching, his cheeks wet with tears.

"Lorna?" He called out.

"Get him out of here." Another officer ordered.

"Come on son." A male police officer said gently as he guided him back up the basement stairs and out of the broken front door.

"Daryl?" Rick called, he too was sweaty and panting. "I came as quickly as I could. What happened?" He asked.

EMTs began to rush past them as other police officers arrived including Sheriff Grimes, Ricks father.

"Daryl, are you okay? What happened?" The Sheriff asked.

"Lorna...she's...the baby..." He couldn't find the words to describe what he had seen.

Eventually Lorna was wheeled out and into the back of an ambulance. He couldn't focus, he couldn't think. He had no idea what do.

It was all only made worse when the baby was brought out, fully covered and put into the back of a coroners van.

"Daryl, what do you want to do now?" Sheriff Grimes asked.

"I...um...I don't know." He stammered.

"Do you want to go to the hospital?" He asked.

"I think so." He nodded slowly.

"I'll give you a ride." He said patting his shoulder.

•••

Vote and comment.