Thanks To The Kids ↠ Yamaguchi Tadashi

Start from the beginning

"(First Name)-nee, do you want to play with us for a while?" The third kid says, and I laugh. "Okay, sure! I guess I have some time to spare." So for around thirty minutes, I spent time playing frisbee with the kids. I bet I looked like their babysitter, yet I never even found out their names. Nevertheless, it made me smile to be around them.

They were just naturally.. smiley. Anyone would have had their spirits uplifted by them.

---

Normally, I didn't pass by the playground on the way home from school. It would take me a bit longer to get back to my house, and I relished matters such as the time a lot lately. After all, it's more convenient for me to finish my studying or doing my assignments as early as I can.

But in the little time I spent with the four children I met that day, I might have gotten slightly attached. Or just worried about their wellbeing. After all, are they just allowed to go play in a public area alone? Did they have someone with them? Were they supposed to?

So as the week went by, after school, I would make a quick detour pass by the playground. And then get lured in to spend a few minutes to talk with the children.

I got slightly less concerned for their safety when they mentioned that they went to an elementary that was only a minutes walk away from the playground.

"I told mommy about the bullies last time." The freckled girl tells me one day. "She wants to have someone watch over us, but I don't want to be babysat." She pouts, and I almost squeal.

The ginger haired one, who I found out has the name Natsu, nods. "I want my brother to watch us, but he's always so busy."

"We don't need a babysitter, nee-chan!" One of the twin boys, I can never tell them from one another, cried indignantly. "You always visit us for a while anyway!"

"Pretty-nee," The more quiet twin says, causing me to flush slightly. This one seemed to insist on calling me that instead of my real name. "Thank you for staying with us." I wanted to tell him that his thanks wasn't needed, but then he puts out his arm towards me, his small fists clenching something.

"Eh? What's this for?" I hold out my hand, recieving what was a few small flowers and a shiny looking stone. "A thank you gift!" The dark haired girl said cheerfully. "Natsu-chan and I picked some flowers from school, and we sent the twins to search for a pretty rock!"

I smile widely. I didn't really know what to do with their little present, but I appreciated their cute act. "I love it." I tell them.

The ginger frowns slightly though. "I hope pretty onee-chan's boyfriend won't get jealous though." If it were any other person, they probably would have giggled, as their lover probably would not have gotten jealous of gifts from kids.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't exactly apply to me- Putting into consideration that the last time I even went on a date or had a boyfriend was definitely not recently.

"Boy... Boyfriend?" I sputtered, my face turning pink from embarrassment. "I don't exactly have a boyfriend." I tried explaining. I just didn't have enough time. As a 3rd year, I was busy with my academics, club, and trying my best to prepare for college.

Of course, that wasn't to say I didn't have my sights set on someone. But it was easier for me to push my feelings aside, rather than face a possible rejection and be on unpleasant terms with him.

"Really? What pretty woman doesn't have a boyfriend?" The ginger furrows her eyebrows, then her eyes light up, as she gives a cheery grin.

---