Chapter 48: Three Debutantes, One Crown

Start from the beginning

Finally, with a flourish, Brenna sprayed me with a cloud of perfume before pronouncing me perfect.

"And now, we await your brother," she said, surveying her work with a pleased little smile.

"Vee?" I repeated dumbly, wondering if I'd burst into tears at the sight of my brother and ruin their hours of hard work.

"Of course! He'll be escorting you," she said, "Are you quite certain I can't tempt you with any food? You're looking so pale this morning..."

"I'm fine," I said flatly, turning my gaze back towards the fire. I didn't say anything else as my maids got to tidying up the mess left in the wake of my toilette. They talked softly amongst themselves, probably assuming I was nervous for the upcoming announcement. I hoped they didn't realize I was contemplating the gaping hole in my chest where my heart had once been, the sapphire and diamond necklace a cold manacle around my neck.

Right when I had almost worked up my nerve to run, no matter what Andrew had asked, there was a knock at the door. Brenna hurried to answer it, showing Xavier in. I stood, my stomach swooping with dread as I turned to face him.

"You look wonderful," he said, taking in my ensemble with a worried look to my downcast face.

"Shall we go?" was all I said, unable to look at him for fear of unleashing the tears pooling in my eyes. My brother offered his arm with a quiet thanks to the maids. I was in too much of a hurry to leave and be done with this that I hadn't stopped to contemplate what would be awaiting me in the hallway.

I halted dead in my tracks as Adelaide Winters' tinkling laugh echoed from her suite. She stepped out several doors in front of us, glittering in a white and silver gown that could have passed for a wedding dress. She was wrapped up in the attention she was receiving from a bevy of other debutantes and ladies in waiting, her shining blonde hair piled atop her head with just enough space for a tiara she surely hoped to set there in a few hours' time. An older gentleman, likely her father, Lord Winters, was casting an amused look around at the other tittering girls until his gaze landed on me.

"Chin up," Xavier said beside me. I gulped, realizing I'd been holding my breath.

Adelaide's father leaned down to whisper something to her and without missing a beat, the beautiful blonde bid farewell to her friends and flounced away ahead of us, never once looking my way.

"I don't think I can do this," I whispered, tugging Xavier's hand to make him stop.

"It's almost over, Libby. You just need to be strong for a little longer," he said kindly.

Tears brimmed and I tried to blink them away. I wanted to tell him that it wasn't just a little longer, I would have to be strong for the rest of my life after being forced into a front row seat to my own heartbreak. But there wasn't enough time to explain now, so I swallowed the lump in my throat and forced down my panic.

In the entrance hall, Adelaide had lined up first, her father casting proud glances her way as she fiddled with her dress, arranging and rearranging it as we waited. Dulciana waltzed in surrounded by a dozen well-dressed Ardalonians, all of them prattling on excitedly in Ardal, their native language. Her dress was golden and inlaid with more precious stones than I could count. A massive, sparkling tiara sat atop her dark curls, a glaring reminder that she alone was the only royal candidate. Ambassador DeGallo was the tall, silent figure in their midst, his sneering glare landing squarely on me the moment he noticed me. I did my best to ignore him, my attention wholly focused on the mass of people in the ballroom before us.

Without warning, a fanfare blew and the footmen opened the doors before Adelaide.

"This is it," she whispered, a glorious smile splitting her face as her father tucked her trembling hand into his.