Chapter 30: When Push Comes To Shove

Depuis le début

Ernie nodded eagerly at her response and turned to Hannah and I.

"Are you both stay—?"

His question was cut short when a high pitched note pierced the static air and a cold voice called out to the school.

"I know you are preparing to fight," the malicious voice whispered eerily. "I do not wish harm on those pure of blood. It would be a waste on everyone's part to fight against me. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave this school unharmed. Give me Harry Potter and I will reward you. Give me Harry Potter and not a drop of magical blood will be spilled. You have until midnight."

People were crouched down, clutching at their ears. Younger students were quietly sobbing. Ernie had sat back down with us and was grabbing at his head as though it pained him. The voice of Voldemort had rung clearly through everyone's head, instructing us to just hand over Harry Potter but not a soul moved. Though, Pansy Parkinson had to open her mouth.

"What are we waiting for? Potter's right there! Someone grab him!" She called out pointing from the Slytherin table over toward where Harry and his friends and D. A. members were congregated.

It wasn't a second after her exclamation that people started flocking in front of Harry: more members of the Order of The Phoenix, more members of Dumbledore's Army, and a good portion of the student body that wasn't in Slytherin. Hannah grabbed my arm and Ernie's as well and hauled us over to join the ever-growing mass of people standing between Pansy and Harry.

"That will do, Miss Parkinson," Professor McGonagall stated over the shuffling of students towards Potter. "Mr. Filch, if you please, escort Miss Parkinson and the rest of Slytherin to the dungeons."

A disgruntled looking Mr. Argus Filch hobbled towards the stairs that led to the dungeons and the Slytherins reluctantly followed behind him. My eyes carefully scrutinized each person leaving with Filch, but did not find Draco. The sinking feeling in my stomach told me that he definitely had not been able to return from spring break as Malfoy Manor was basically Death Eater Headquarters nowadays. I still clung to a tiny ray of hope that he would show up and help fight this battle. Harry Potter wasn't going to be handed over to the Dark Lord so easily. Hogwarts was going to fight for him against Voldemort no matter the cost.

"Are you both staying?" Ernie was finally able to ask Hannah and I.

"Yes," we answered simultaneously.

"Good, I am, too," he said with a grin.

"I'm just going to make sure Johnny gets safely on the train first," I told my friends as I spun around on my heel trying to locate my brother.

Most of Slytherin House had exited the Great Hall and the other Houses were starting to usher younger students out or make for the Entrance Hall. I noticed Zacharias Smith bowling over first years to get to the carriages faster and rolled my eyes. He was a coward just like Snape, nothing more.

Locating my brother in this mess proved harder than I had anticipated but I bumped into him and Gwen after a few frantic minutes of searching.

"Johnny, Gwen, you guys ready to board the train?" I asked as I knelt down to their height.

"No, we're staying here with you!" My brother said adamantly.

"You most certainly are not and I'm not about to argue with either of you. I'm getting you two on the Hogwarts Express and back home," I countered defiantly.

"Why are you staying? If you're staying with you're friends, we should get to stay, too!" Johnny fussed.

"I'm staying because I'm of age and you are going because you are not," I said with an even tone.