Chapter 29: The Army Remains Strong

Start from the beginning

"Awesome," Ernie said through a mouthful of pie.

"Will you both come tonight?" She asked pulling her hand out of her pocket and leaving it closed around whatever was in her hand.

"Sign me up," Ernie said after he finally swallowed his pie and wiped his mouth crumb-free.

"Davis? I'm not buying another one of your studying excuses and Quidditch is history after your little charade with Zach, please tell me your coming," Hannah begged me earnestly.

"Perhaps, it's just that I don't know what I'd do and I don't know how to teach younger students defensive spells," I confessed lamely.

"You don't have to necessarily teach the entire group, just when we break away into smaller groups to instruct, you can walk around and offer assistance to anyone struggling," she suggested.

"Right, but get this: I'm dating a known Death Eater and people around here, no matter what year, think that he's a bad person. If I were to join you guys, there would be a lot of suspicion surrounding me relaying what you guys are doing to Draco who then in turn would tell Amycus who would tell Snape who would land everyone involved in major trouble for the rest of the school year," I retorted.

I had given that a fair bit of thought. Despite the rule that clearly stated there was to be no displays of physical affection publicly here, it didn't stop Draco and I from holding hands or sharing a quick kiss between the two of us leaving Astronomy and departing for our sixth hour class. While others ignored the rules, too, there were still the rumors of Draco's connection with Voldemort so him kissing me in the hallway wasn't good. There had been a rumor for about two days that I was in league with all of this, but quickly was dismissed the more down low we tried to keep our relationship. If someone caught wind that Draco Malfoy's girlfriend was part of the D. A., then it would put every member of the Army at risk for prosecution by Amycus and Alecto Carrow. Granted, they knew about Dumbledore's Army, but there was no stopping this rebellion. I had seen spray painted messages on the walls near the Room of Requirement that spelled out phrases like "Dumbledore's Army: Still Recruiting" often enough that the Carrow's and Snape easily knew what was happening. No amount of punishment could quell this growing flame.

Hannah sat back on the bench with her brow furrowed and Ernie tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"It appears she has you there, Hannah," Ernie stated after a sticky silence passed.

"He wouldn't betray us to Snape, would he? He should know better—" she began but I cut her off.

"He should, but I don't want to risk it with the number of people involved. I'm sure to some degree the Dark Lord knows about the D. A. as Amycus and Alecto already know and have undoubtedly spilled something to him. The younger students don't know that so if they found out the Dark Lord knew and I'm part of you all, then everyone would blame me for betraying this to Draco, to Amycus, to Snape, to the Dark Lord," I explained carefully.

Hannah sighed as she knew that she was defeated.

"Fine, but can I have your D. A. Galleon back then?" Her question surprised me, but I produced it from my pocket and slid it across the table to her.

She took it and that's when I realized the thing in her hand was her galleon which was probably going to be her last attempt at swaying me to join. It was ridiculous of me to carry it on my person for someone who never paid mind to when the meetings were held, but it was just something I had grown used to having in my pocket.