Chapter 23: Confessions Are Fun

En başından başla

"Trying to steal you away from her," I said quickly and then closed my eyes as I breathed deeply again.

"Did she hurt you in any other way?" The genuine concern in Draco's voice seemed so real.

"No, it was just the wrist was all. Nothing more," I answered gathering a small amount of courage and glancing up at him.

"She's a bloody jealous git is all. You needn't listen to anything she says. I don't think she's ever said anything intelligent," he said with a smirk as his grey met mine.

"Jealous of what?" I asked curiously.

Malfoy shuffled his feet awkwardly and looked down for a brief moment. When he made eye contact with me again, I could tell he was weighing the decision of whether or not to tell me something. 

"She found out from Zabini that you and I. . ." Malfoy's voice faltered and he glanced over his shoulder and then back to me calculatingly.

"That we—?" My embarrassment was slowly starting to fade now that I recognized we were both self-conscious of the situation.

"That last night in the library," Draco said now with that familiar smirk playing upon his lips.

"How did Zabini find out?" I asked a little more bravely.

"You're telling me you're not going to go find Abbott after this is all said and done and tell her everything? It's like that, Davis, I sort of confide in him because I can trust—could trust—him with that stuff. No longer now that he spilled everything to Parkinson, but you get the idea," he said.

"You're not wrong," I muttered. "I will probably tell Hannah everything, but I understand your point."

"Then how about you tell her about this."

After that comment slipped out of his mouth, his lips crashed against mine. I was so unprepared for the kiss, but didn't pull away. His cool lips lingered against my warm ones and I caught the faint, but still distinct, taste of mint. I hadn't noticed that Draco had cupped my face until we broke apart and he moved his thumb carefully across my cheek. I was beyond all the embarrassment now and I felt completely calm. Looking into those eyes, I saw there was more than the Death Eater to him, more than the Slytherin bully, and I liked seeing that. He was vulnerable.

"Draco, I like you."

I could feel my mouth go dry once more and swallowing seemed too difficult for my throat. I was positively mortified.

Though just when I expected Malfoy to pull away from me disgusted, he chuckled lightly and looked down at me.

"I like you, too, Davis," he said.

I froze. My mind was spinning and it felt like I was about to pass out. I blinked several times and let it sink it. He liked me. Draco liked me.

"Wait, really?" I clamped a hand over my mouth the moment those words left my lips.

"Yes, really," was his cheeky response.

Removing my hand from keeping my mouth captive, I couldn't help but smile.

"I'm not sure what to say now," I laughed awkwardly while fiddling with my robes.

"You don't have to say anything," he said and grinned at me.

"Though, I do suppose it's getting late and I should probably head back to my Common Room, come to think of it," I pointed out.