"Who is the boss?" asked the girl.

"Our leader," answered another man. "He's the dark-"

"Shut up!" Snapped the one in the front.

The girl let out a long breath. Good, she thought. They were stupid. At least she had that going for her. With some wit and charm she might be able to escape.

"Fellas," she purred, swinging her hips to the side. "Why are a bunch of tough guys like you answering to some boss who's not even here?"

The man standing in front smiled again, his eyes darkening. She still wasn't able to make out his face. The only visible things were his strange purple eyes and shiny white teeth.

"He is the most powerful wielder that has ever lived," hissed the man. "That's why we follow him."

"What is a wielder? Never mind," she said, shaking her head. "I'm sure all of you together could take him and then rule the...wielders."

"We thought about that," said the shortest man.

The one standing in front spun around and threw his hands forward. Black and purple electricity shot from his hand, bringing everyone to their knees. He slowly turned back around, the creepy smile never leaving his face.

"Summer," he whispered.

She raised her brow in shock as her name left his lips. The small amount of confidence she had, left as quickly as it had come. There was no way the people she was dealing with were humans. she was going to die.

"What do you want?" she asked, her voice breaking at the end.

He began to stalk her like prey. "You. It'll make all of this easier if you just come without a fight. Our boss won't hurt you."

"I find that hard to believe."

She dug her hand in her coat pocket and felt the cool metal of the gun against her palm. The thing she had no clue how to use was the only hope she had left.

"Don't do this," warned the man.

She looked over his shoulder and watched as the others groaned while they got to their feet. If one shot like that could knock them out, then what would it do to her?

"And what if I say no?" asked Summer.

He shook his head. "That's not an option."

"Then your boss isn't going to be happy." Summer pulled out the gun and fired. Her arm flew backwards, causing the bullet to cut through a window. It shattered, the glass showering over them.

The man laughed, turned to his friends, and nodded once. Summer couldn't believe what she was seeing. All of them melted into the floor like they were nothing but air.

She stepped back until her hands touched the rusted crate. There was no where she could run. They finally had trapped her and were now going to bring her to some man that probably had magical powers just like these demons.

She waited, her breathing labored as she watched the shadows intently. The silence dragged on. The same anxiety from earlier came back as she strained to hear just a single sound.

The ground suddenly became black below her and two hands shot out. She screeched as they locked onto her ankles.

In front of her the man who seemed to be in charge began to materialize. He rose from the floor, his purple eyes glowing with mock amusement.

"I didn't think it would be this easy," he said.

Summer could hear the blood pumping from her heart. It was a steady thump in her ears that sounded like the beat of a drum. Her head began to feel fuzzy as the image of the man started to fade.

"Don't come near me," she said through clenched teeth.

"You're not really in a position to bargain."

"No," she said, shaking her head. "You don't get it. I'll hurt you and I can't control it."

The man gave her a puzzled look. "Really now? Sounds very scary but, I'll take my chances."

He reached forward and grabbed onto her wrist. She screamed as the fire raced through her body. It jumped onto his skin and he immediately collapsed to the floor; writhing in pain and unable to make a sound.

Her ankles were released as the person below her suffered the same fate.

"I told you not to," she yelled, the tears burning her eyes.

She fell to her knees, the blackness threatening to consume her like it always did. It wasn't until she heard a loud bang that she remembered there were at least two more guys.

Summer lifted her head which felt like a cement block, and blinked through her haziness. Standing a few feet from her was the biggest man she had ever seen. He had a golden aurora around him and was staring at her with his mouth hanging open.

"She's going to pass out!" shouted a voice from her right.

She was too tired to look. If they were going to take her then now was the best time to do it. There was no way she could even manage to put up a fight.

"What about the guys?" asked the golden man.

"Let them go," said the same voice from her right.

Sweat was pouring down her face as she fought the urge to vomit. It took everything in her to look at each person approaching her.

"Stay away purple eyes," she wheezed. Her breaths were now coming in gasps.

The golden man bent down and put a hand on her head. "Relax," he said, his voice uncharacteristically soft even though his accent was strong.

A warmth filled her body that started at the top of her head and slowly crept down to her toes. In a matter of minutes, the nausea had disappeared and she no longer felt like she was going to die.

She wiped her brow and looked up. Her golden eyes were met with a pair of purple ones. "What do you want?"

"To help you," said the boy. He held out his hand.

She eyed it suspiciously. "Those other guys were trying to kill me and now you want to help when you look just like them?"

"We're trying to give you a safe place to stay," said a female's voice from behind purple eyes. "Don't be stupid and let's go."

Summer chuckled. "That totally makes me want to come. You must be a writer or something since you are so good with words."

The female stepped forward and scowled. "Then stay here. I don't care."

The familiar sirens filled the air before Summer could respond. She jumped up, her legs wobbly but, not as bad as they usually were.

"I have to go," she said.

"Come with us and you won't have to deal with the cops," said purple eyes.

Their conversation was once again interrupted as the police officers voice sounded over his loud speaker.

"Drop your weapon and come out with your hands up!"

Summer smiled. "Maybe another day, guys. Time to have my monthly meeting with the cops." She looked at the golden man. "Thanks for...doing whatever you did."

She tossed the gun to purple eyes, put her hands up, and walked through the only exit. There was some shouting and loud thumps before the doors slammed and the cars drove away.

"What now?" asked the girl.

Purple eyes sighed. "We go after her."