Chapter 17

Summer leaned against a tree and watched the sun rise high into the sky. The golden rays hit the grass and made the morning dew look like thousands of pieces of shattered glass.

She realized that most of her stay here had been waking up before the sun had even risen. She went to bed with the stars and woke up with them.

At least this time there were a handful of people awake with her. They were all just as nervous as she was. The first part of the elimination started in just two hours and no one knew what was going on. The council or the elves hadn't explained anything. In fact, Summer hadn't seen the elves since she had been here.

"How are you?"

Summer glanced over at Ash. He was wearing a plain white shirt and black shorts. Now she was beginning to wonder if she was overdressed in her jogging pants and jacket.

"Fine." She paused and then let out a long breath. "That was a lie. I feel like the anxiety is going to kill me."

"You'll be okay," he answered. "You've gotten a lot better since you first started. Some of the others don't even realize that so, you have that to your advantage."

The sun was now directly on Summer. She knew why Ash had worn what he did. The heat was brutal and it was still morning. She pulled off her jacket and threw it by her tent.

"You gained weight since you've been here," said Ash.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should." He covered his eyes and looked up at the mountain. "They're preparing the challenges. We'll be starting soon."

"You're very intelligent," she blurted out. "You don't speak like the typical young kid."

Ash offered her a tense but, small smile. "In high school I went to a junior college where I earned a two year degree. I'm also not young."

"I bet a lot of people don't know that."

"Just you and my family." He moved close to her and gave her hand a quick squeeze. "Be safe."

And with that he was gone. She was so shocked by the conversation and him touching her that she didn't try to stop him from leaving. She also decided right then and there that he was doing a terrible job at keeping away from her. There was no doubt in her mind that he would stick by her the entire challenge.

Summer turned from the tree and sat down near her tent. Tracy was awake now and had already gotten dressed.

She handed Summer something wrapped in foil. "A breakfast burrito thing. Eat it."

Tracy tied her black and red braids into a ponytail before doing the same thing. The two of them ate in silence as they watched the rest of the wielders start to wake up.

Summer thought she was going to throw up her food but, she forced herself to eat it. It looked like Tracy was doing the same thing. She had a scowl on her face every time she took a bite.

Just as they finished Petar sauntered over. In tow were Nora and Zach. They were all extra quiet that morning. Even Zach, with his quick witted comments, refused to speak.

A sharp whistle echoed against the trees and cut through the camp like a sharp blade. Summer covered her ears and looked around at everyone else who was doing the same. She caught Ash's eye who gestured for them to start moving.

She stood up. "I think that means they're ready. Let's go."

All the wielders moved in a wave together. They walked slowly, their voices barely above a whisper, like someone had sentenced them to death.