Chapter 16

Summer sat nervously at the cafeteria table. She had forced herself to eat a few eggs but, not even coffee sounded appetizing this morning. It was the start of the elimination challenge and everyone was anxious. Even the twins, who were normally bragging about how amazing they were, hadn't said a word that morning.

Summer allowed herself one glance at Ash. He had kept his word and had left her life like she had meant nothing to him. There were times that it hurt seeing him so uncaring but, she mostly used her anger to not cave and try to talk to him.

"You ready?" Asked Tracy as she nudged her.

"Yup," answered Summer. She picked up her backpack and followed Tracy out of the cafeteria.

The council had them take a few days worth of clothes, extra water, and a sleeping bag. Some employees of the training facility were bringing the tents.

Summer wished she could say she was ready for the elimination challenge. The elves had promised to train them for a week but, all they did was single out and observe a handful of students. Never once did they talk to her which she was hoping for. It was frustrating and not helping with her anxiety.

"How's it going?" Asked Nora. She always seemed to sneak up on Summer and it freaked her out.

"Fine. Just nervous."

Nora raised a brow. "I meant, how are you really doing?"

Summer knew what she had meant when she asked the first time. It hadn't even been two weeks yet since Dougs death and they weren't allowed to talk about it. She kept trying to push it down and found his death popping back up in her dreams. The bags under Nora's eyes said the same thing.

Summer shrugged. "Maybe I'll be able to sleep one day."

"Me too," replied Nora. "I wish it was as easy as just forgetting."

"I wish a lot of things in life were like that." Summer shifted her back pack. "As cheesy as it sounds, only time will help."

"And boyfriends," said Zach. He wrapped his arm around Nora's shoulder and kissed her head.

"Zach!" Whispered Nora. She hit him in the chest and nodded her head toward Ash.

Summer glanced in the direction she was gesturing towards and realized Ash was much closer than she thought he was. There was only one person separating them even though he was still refusing to acknowledge her.

Summer gripped her shoulder straps tightly, clenched her jaw, and pushed ahead of everyone. She weaved through the crowd despite her friends yelling for her. When she finally slowed down and looked over her shoulder she couldn't see Ash.

"Where are you off to?" Asked a familiar voice.

Summer inwardly cringed. "Just wanted a chance to sort through my thoughts."

She was hoping Troy got the hint that she wanted to be left alone. Seeing as he just smiled and nodded she knew the words didn't get through. Now she regretted acting childish and running from Ash.

"Who do you think will win?" Asked Troy.

"Me. Duh."

He laughed. "There are six places." He bent down so that his head was close to hers. "I heard that the elves will use all their time to train those people and then those winners will have to train everyone else."

Summer snorted. "That's stupid. What if someone wins by sheer luck?"

"Ha! That's not going to happen. Whoever wins will deserve it."