Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            I was playing with Emma for about an hour now, with no sign of the boy Carter except for loud music blaring from a room across the hall. Emma seemed to be a really sweet and bubbly child once she’s warmed up to you. She had me raid her closet for dress up clothes and was now making me fashion a tutu and a tiara. “No you are supposed to wear it like this,” Emma said as she reached up and straightened out my lopsided feather boa. I giggled and nodded, “Oh my bad Princess Emma. Thank you so much for fixing my royal boa,” I pulled up the end of the large ballerina tutu and curtsied the way you would for a Queen.

            Emma giggled and her face lit up. I grinned as Emma pranced around the designated play room in her fairy princess costume, complete with crown, wings, and clip on earrings. My smile faded as the sound of an electric guitar wailed from Carter’s bedroom. Emma covered her ears at the noise and I stood up from my mini chair at the tea party. “I’ll be right back,” I said to Emma before stepping into the hall.

            I stopped in front of Carter’s door and knocked on it twice. The music and the electric guitar continue and I groaned. I banged my fist against the door and yelled, “Hey kid, you really need to turn that music down!”  I heard the guitar stop, but the music didn’t change volume. I rolled my eyes and made my way back to the play room. I found Emma putting on a pair of slippers and she looked up at me, “Carter always plays his music super loud.” Emma frowned as she made her way back to the tea set table.

            I looked from her to the Carter’s bedroom door and was annoyed at the music that continued to wail. I shook my head and clapped my hands together. “Well I think it’s time that Princess Emma got something to eat. What do you think?”

            Emma thought about it for a second and wrapped her arms around a large teddy bear. “Can I have ice cream afterwards?” her voice pitched up higher with hope and she smiled and batted her eyes. It was obvious she has practiced this look and I couldn’t help but laugh softly. “Yeah of course you can have ice cream after, but that means you also have to eat some vegetable.” Emma groaned and I took her hand and lead her back downstairs to the kitchen.

            ***

            Not long after I gave Emma her dinner and her ice cream did I put her to bed.  It was around nine thirty when I did this, and with time to kill I made my way to the living room. I turned on the TV and began to surf through the channels. I settled for a re-run of Mythbusters and I got cozy. About ten minutes later I made my way to the kitchen and opened the pantry door, hoping to score some chips.

            As I was debating between Ruffles or Lays I heard a door upstairs open, and the music grew louder. That only meant that Carter was finally leaving his room for the first time all night. I thought about finding him and talking with him about the music issue but I brushed off the thought. I wasn’t his mother, and he probably wasn’t going to listen to me anyway that’s how most young boys are.

            I reached for the bag of Ruffles finally and hear footsteps on the tile floor around the corner. I shut the pantry door and open the bag. Looking up I waited to see who the mysterious Carter was. I popped a chip in my mouth, expecting to see a young boy around the age of ten. This is why I nearly choked on the ruffle chip when I saw a teenage boy about my age round the corner wearing an old black t-shirt and ripped up jeans.

            Carter stopped and just stared as I tried not to cough. My eyes water up and I found a glass which I then poured water into. As I chugged the water and began to calm down Carter spoke. “You do know that you are supposed to chew your food before swallowing right?” His voice was deep, husky, not a child at all. I glance at him, a small blush on my cheeks as he opens the fridge and begins looking for something.

            “Yeah, I just didn’t expect to be babysitting someone my age, that’s all.” I run my fingers through my brown hair and look Carter over. He was tall, muscular, and had the same brown hair that his mom and sister had, but when I caught a glimpse of his eyes I saw that they were a vivid green color. Carter looked over at me and snorted, “You’re not babysitting me. You’re babysitting Emma.” His voice was defensive, harsh.

            I set the chips and glass of water on the kitchen counter and shrugged my shoulders, “Well your mom said that I’m also watching over you, so in a sense, yes. I am babysitting you,” I smirk at him and fold my arms, trying to hide the fact I was still shocked to see him. “May I ask why you need a babysitter?” My voice picked up the way it does when I’m curious.

            “Easy, my dad is off serving in the army, and my mom doesn’t trust me to be home alone after a few . . . incidents.” Carter smiled devilishly as he said the words incidents as if there was something funny and I wasn’t allowed to be in on the joke.

            I poured out the water of my cup and it in the sink. I then grabbed the bag of chips and walked past Carter to the living room. When I was on the couch I heard the door to the fridge close. I watched from the corner of my eye as Carter made his way upstairs with a box of leftover pizza in his hand. I then heard his bedroom door slam shut and I slowly sunk into the couch.

            How the heck am I suppose to babysit a five year old girl and her freaking eighteen year old brother? There is no way I can handle that. Already I can tell Carter is going to be a distraction. But I need this babysitting gig, no one is hiring and I really need that lap top. Ugh, it’s only for the summer.

            I reached for a chip and popped it into my mouth. Careful to make sure I don’t choke on it I chew slowly and watch as Adam and Jamie try to bust another myth.