The Time Thief

The Crone lifted the chalice above her head, capturing the attention of the spirits in attendance as candlelight reflected eerily in their hollow eyes. Closing her own, Idelle lost herself in the chanting that echoed around the cavern, the words growing louder as the ceremony neared its end.

"Here, child," the Crone spoke clearly, thrusting the chalice into Idelle's hands. Idelle raised the chalice to her mouth, hesitantly drinking down its contents. It tasted like honey, and went down like wine.

"You are now an Aimsir, a Guardian of Time," the Crone declared, and the dead reverents intoned their confirmation. Idelle took the brooch of the crescent moon from her dress and attached it to her headband, its horns pointing to the right, as was customary of the Aimsir initiation ceremony. It was done.

"I know you will do well," the Crone assured her, smiling. Idelle smiled nervously, pressing the chalice she had been clasping into her great-grandmother's hands.

She stepped out of the cavern and into the sun, and was immediately confronted by her mother. After a moment of congratulatory pleasantries, they began their journey to the Ascent for her to meet with the spirits of the Past, Present, and Future. She breathed deeply, anxiety filling her lungs more successfully than oxygen as she struggled her way up the hill.

At the Ascent, the spirits sat upon their designated rocks. The vibration of their great bodies caught the sun in such a way that they appeared a mirage, and Idelle had to blink several times before their forms appeared clearly.

She and her mother bowed, but she bowed the lowest. She could feel the spirits' eyes on her, heavy as the sun that was beating down on her back. In the First Meeting, making an impression was essential.

"My Lords, Protectors of the island of Trèigte and Eternal Existences of Time. My name is Idelle, your newest Aimsir. I will assist you in anything you may need, and I will do my utmost to protect time, as it guides us," she recited.

"Idelle," Past repeated. Its tone was hard, reflecting the war and barbarity it suffered. "You have been initiated at a most convenient time. The future is fading away."

Present spoke up in a monotone. "A manipulator of time has arisen, and whoever or whatever it is, it is powerful. However, it is nothing that we have not encountered before, or after, and we need your help to eradicate it."

"S-Should other Aimsir be involved?" said Idelle hesitantly, unable to fully grasp the situation.

"Certainly, for they need to teach you how to weave yourself into time. We have decided to repair this abomination on your initiation day, for the guardians are never as strong as they are at this very moment," Present said. "And if Future was able to speak, it would tell you how celebrated your actions will be when they discover this island ahead of now: deserted, but still boasting the documentation of your success."

Idelle nodded, looking at Future with eyes searching for an abnormality that usually would be missed. It looked unhealthy, as if its vibrations were not as strong as Pasts' and Presents'. It had not spoken; it appeared to be perpetually caught in itself, unable to move through the cycles of time.

Her mother gathered the surviving Aimsir at the Ascent. Linking hands and standing in a circle, their combined magic flowed through every member. It was like lightning striking at the very core of each guardian and exploding, ripples of power travelling through their bodies until they felt like they were bigger than the bodies that limited them.

"Idelle, as a new initiate, we leave it to you to find this thief of time," her mother said to her right. "Allow the magic to guide you through the Web. Focus on where the disruption is coming from, but do not delve into it. If you need our help, we are here for you."

Idelle acceded to her mother's instructions. Bringing the magic to her third eye to "see" the pulsing activity of the Web, as she had practiced many times before, she found the disturbance easily. Not only could she feel the heat of the fire eating it away, she could see the source; he worked backwards through the Web, coming towards her at an alarming pace.

"I found him. What do I do now?"

"You need to cage him, child. You need to cage him before he removes the force of time completely, so it can begin to rewrite itself."

Breathing deeply to find her courage, she rushed at the thief, meeting him head-on. Using tendrils of her magic, she reached out to him, paralysing him with her power. The fire stopped and receded somewhat, like water upon the shore. As the magic worked its way around him, she felt as if she was extinguishing a candle; the fire diminished and died out, and she knew that she had killed him.

Gasping, she pulled out of her third eye and clutched her chest. She felt his pain and her guilt all at once.

"Did you do it?" Her mother asked. The other Aimsir stared at her inquisitively as she looked around frantically.

"I tried to cage him, but his anger was too powerful. It interacted with my magic. It choked the life out of him," Idelle answered.

The Aimsir collectively dropped the magic and dropped hands, coming to her to support her. "It can happen, dear. It is a loss, but you are not at fault," her mother told her.

"You have ensured that existence continues, Idelle," Past added. "Thank you."

Idelle, instead, turned to Future. It was vibrating more strongly, and did not seem as caged by its pain as it was before. It was returning, and she allowed herself to be happy to see it as it certainly could be. The future would show that an accident could be moved on from.

Time had been stolen back.