Chapter Six

Courage doesn't happen when you have all the answers. It happens when you are ready to face the questions you have been avoiding your whole life.
- Shannon L. Aldern

Ashley Davis

Three days went by and I still could not build up the courage to save my family from ruins.

My mind was made on that unfaithful night but putting it on action was as difficult as it gets. From childhood, I was taught to do what was right for my family. More importantly, never bring disgrace to the family name. As the eldest child, it was drilled into my head by my Grandmama.

For every holidays, we would visit our ancestor estate in Mayfair, London. Grandmama was aristocratic by blood and by marriage. She was the daughter of a Viscount and wife of a Duke. Hence, we had aristocracy in our blood but papa could not be the heir because he was the younger son.

The previous Duke, our Grandpapa passed away leaving the dukedom to his first born, my uncle Matthew when I was barely five and now, could only remember him through the stories from Grandmama. She had a special sitting room where she would teach us what we needed to learn and tell us stories about our ancestors. She was our very own governess. A strict one at that.

For the past years, I had somehow convinced papa to take us to Mayfair only on Christmases because not only grandmama and Uncle Matthew lived there but Alex, my uncle's adopted son yet such a vile creature too.

A click of the door brought me away from my thoughts and Julie was standing at the doorway of my closet with a dress hanging from her hand.

"You would look beautiful in this dress, Miss Ashley."

My breath quickened. I gripped the bedsheets tighter in my hands and blanked at the sight of the white dress.

Marry me, Ashley Davis.

"No!" I stood up and shook my head. "Julie, take it away. I am not wearing white."

Her cheery face turned down as she glanced at the metallic print white dress with rhinestones covering the borders. "What's wrong with this one, Miss? Your mother specifically bought this dress just for tonight."

I swallowed nervously. "Mama choose this dress?"

"Yes." She nodded, laying the white sleeveless dress on my bed. "She said you must look special tonight since they'll be announcing your engagement to Master Eric."

"What?" My eyes widened and I took two steps back. "They are announcing?"

But I have to break it off.

My eyes prickled and I turned away so that Julie wouldn't notice. Mama did not even bother to inform me but that was not what made me emotionally weak. It was the thought of Neil Harris showing out of nowhere and turning my life upside down.

See you soon, princess.

The words shimmered into my head with a horrified warning bell. These past two days, I had been cooped up in my room in fear that anytime Neil Harris would storm into our house and take me away regardless of my failure to break off my engagement with Eric.

He meant it when he said he'd see me soon. I just hoped he would have patience and give me more time before doing anything reckless.