Steve/Reader - Right to Choose (Civil War)

Start from the beginning

"That's good. That's why I'm here," Dad deciding to make his voice heard again.

"When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down, stopped manufacturing," my Dad continued, getting louder and louder by the second.

"Dad, calm down," I had to say. I could feel this getting heated and I didn't like it.

"Calm down? Calm down? Honey, have you listened to a word Mr lover boy has been saying? This is insane."

"Tony, you chose to do that," Steve jumping in before I got a chance to reply. Forget saved by the bell. This was saved by the very hot, slightly annoying at the moment, super-soldier boyfriend.

"If we sign this we surrender our right to choose."

At that, the room fell into silence. Dad turned in a huff, Steve kept shaking his head, glancing over at me every now and then. The rest of us just sat there, didn't say a word. It was safe to say, you could the tension with a fricking knife.

If I'm being honest, if I was completely impartial, I'd side with Steve. I didn't see how being led by a government would work in our favour. This job is about instinct, knowing when and when not to get involved. If that was decided for us, god knows the sacrifices we'd have to make.

Sadly I wasn't completely impartial. For everyone else in the room the ultimate decision was do you sign the accord or do you not? For me, it was do I side with Steve or with my Dad?

The only way I could see out of this, was to try and get one of them to agree with the other. Either we all signed it, or none of us did. That was the only option, the only one that I saw. This wasn't going to bring us together. It was going to tear us apart.

"Dad?" I voiced, nervously whilst getting to my feet. Knowing in my heart what this could lead to.

"What sweetie?"

"What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go and they don't let us?"

Steve was smiling at me now. Sure that he'd got me on side. Don't jump to conclusions too fast there boyfriend.

"(Y/N), see sense honey?"

"I am seeing sense Dad. We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"(Y/N) if we don't do this now, it's going to be done to us later. It's a fact." He wasn't backing down. This wasn't working.

"Look, I don't know about all of you, but as far as I'm concerned we have to be in this together, one way or another. We either all sign it, or none of us do."

"Maybe Tony is right (Y/N)." No Nat, this is not helping my plan.

"If we have one hand on the wheel we can still steer. If we take it off..."

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam butted in. So much for trying to unite everybody.

"Look, we have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Wait, did I mishear you? Are you actually agreeing with me? Nice to see someone is on my side. My own daughter is going against me." For god's sake Stark.

"Dad, will you shut up? This is not about taking sides. It's about making the right decision, the right decision for all of us. Do you think I want to be stuck in the middle of this? Do you for one second think that this is easy for me? Whatever choice I make will go against one of you. My Dad or my boyfriend? You or Steve? I can't do that. I won't do that. Accord or not."

"(Y/N) what are you saying?" Steve asked with worry, pulling my attention away from my Dad when he stood up beside me and took my hand in his.

"Is there anything that could get you to sign the accords?" I asked him bluntly, but with unshed tears in my eyes. I already knew what was coming.

"No. I can't sign them."

"Ok," I responded, then turning to face my Dad.

"Dad, is there anything that could get you to NOT sign them?"

"Nothing. We have to sign these honey."

"Fine. That's my decision made then." Wow, I wish it didn't have to come to this.

"What do you mean?" Wanda asked from her place on the couch, Vision and Rhodey on either side of her.

"What I mean is, if we can't come to a mutual decision, as a group, then I have no choice but to walk out that door right now."

"(Y/N) wait a second? I don't understand." My Dad asked.

"I'm not signing the accord Dad."

"What?"

"I'm not signing it. Not because I'm siding with Steve, but because I won't have to. I won't have to choose."

"I hate to say it baby, but you do," Steve thinking he had all the answers.

"No I don't. Only the Avengers have to make that choice."

"(Y/N) don't do this," Nat voiced in trepidation. Finally someone could see where I was going.

"I'm sorry Nat, but I don't see any other way. Not for me anyway."

I begrudgingly let go of Steve's hand, not failing in giving his knuckles a quick peck first. Then I looked over at my Dad, gave him a forced smile and then took a deep breath. I wish I didn't have to do this.

"I quit."

"WHAT?" They all shouted in quick succession.

"I'm out. I quit the Avengers."

I really hope you enjoyed this one. If you have any imagine requests then please PM me with a brief outline of what you want and I'll get working on it.