Steve/Reader - Right to Choose (Civil War)

MAIN CHARACTERS:

Reader, Steve/Cap, Tony/IM

IMAGINE: You're an Avenger. Your boyfriend is Steve. Your Dad is Iron Man himself, Tony Stark. As they and the other Avengers argue over whether or not to sign the accords you are pulled into the middle of it. What do you do?

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch you don't give up," Steve voiced in exasperation as we all sat huddled, trying to work out whether or not to sign the Sokovia Accords

After the events in New York and Sokovia, the government got scared, worried that we, the Avengers were doing more harm than good. Yes we had saved the world, but it was not without cost. The guilt of not being able to save everybody ate at me every day. It ate at us all. As a result the Sokovia accords were drawn up. They were seen as a way to control us. When we could help, how we could help, and when we'd have to stop, fall back.

Steve didn't like the idea in the slightest. After seeing HYDRA infiltrate and completely dismantle S.H.I.E.L.D, he's not the biggest fan of working under the control of government bodies anymore.

My Dad, Tony aka Iron Man on the other hand didn't hesitate in voicing his support of the idea. Like me, the guilt after the Sokovia attacks consumed him. He blamed himself for everything, Ultron, the fall out, the deaths. He hadn't been the same since. There was nothing I could say to make him feel better. He thought it was time someone else took charge, shouldered some of the responsibility for a change. Put us in check.

Two different opinions, two opposing sides, one accord. This is where it gets messy.

"Who said we're giving up?" Dad replied.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

Sitting on the couch and taking in everything they both had to say, I could tell this was going to get nasty. They were both so stubborn, so head strong. They'd never give in. It would get to the point where we all had to take sides. It was obvious who some would pick. Sam's loyalty lied with Steve. Rhodey's with my Dad. Question was, when the time came, where would I go?

I could feel Nat's eyes on me as the debate continued. She was my best friend for a reason. She knew exactly what I was thinking about, what I was internally wrestling with. As she began rubbing her palm up and down my back, I smiled. It was her way of letting me know she was there for me.

"I'm sorry Steve, but that is dangerously arrogant," Rhodey joined in.

"This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D, it's not HYDRA..."

"No, but its run by people with agendas, and agendas change," Steve interrupted, looking over at me for support. Normally I'd be all for helping him out. If he thinks I'm getting involved with this though, he has another thing coming.