[CH2] The Shadow That Lurks

Getting through the pain of being betrayed was much easier said than done. You felt used, lied to.

Well, that's because you were.

You felt so insignificant. As if you never meant anything to begin with. His words replayed over and over in your head, ringing through every corner of that fragile mind of yours. How he had promised that he would never cheat. How he promised that he would love you until the Earth burned, reduced to nothing. Your chest felt hallow, numb to any other spark of emotion aside from the dulling ache wedged between your ribcage. How did you get here? How long has it been since you've stepped out the house? 

It was hard to keep track. 

It was getting increasingly harder to avoid anyone from your Guild. People have come by to visit, but you've shut them out. You couldn't bear to see anyone. Not now -- not yet. You huff out a laugh between your manic sobbing. For Leo's sake, you've asked that everyone at Fairy Tail keep it on the hush until you confront him, despite Natsu declaring he was born ready to beat him to a bloody pulp. 

The thought makes a small laugh fan your upper lip. 

Your yearned bare sunlight on your sin, fresh air -- something, anything to take your mind off the betrayal you felt. You've decided you've hid yourself in your room long enough, after all, what did you need to feel bad about. You didn't cave into the temptation like he did, making excuses and going behind his back. He's foolish. 

Though you very much could; tie your body and love to someone else. Forget him in another body's embrace. It would be so easy, but hollow, the hypothetical person belonging to the though doesn't deserve that. To be used as a distraction.

Unless they were willing...

It had your mind racing to every suitor, every person who's proclaimed their interest in you.

Fuck, how shallow were you becoming...

Tumbling your weak body into the bathroom, you stare at your reflection, disgusted and mortified. What you saw before you wasn't you,  it couldn't be. There were dark rings beneath your eyes, your hair jostled, untrusted, your lips chapped, skin oily.

You didn't even want to think about how horrible your teeth were.

With a shudder, you take your toothbrush and begin the process of cleaning yourself up.

Stomach growling fiercely, it almost pained your gut, so intense you almost collapsed. When was the last time you've had anything proper to eat?

It's absolutely pointless you know.

Pushing the voice into a forgotten corner of your mind, you continue washing your body of your neglect.

It's funny, he hasn't been back since you've told everyone at the guild.

Not that you cared, much.

You'd rather not have to share any space with him, not at all, and most certainly not now.

Shedding your filth into the shower, carefully, you step out to get a change of clothes. Catching a glimpse of your reflection in the mirror, you saw a long, shadowy arm peer from behind you, making your heart spike and your head whip around.

Nothing.

Perhaps you were seeing things.

Perhaps you were going crazy.

It wouldn't be at all farfetched, you'd say. You had been driving yourself insane, in a sense. A maniacal spin of continous, repetitive, degrading thoughts.