Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Marcus wanted nothing more than to rip out the throat of the Beta's that opened the back doors of the van but he settled himself for lunging at the one who put cuffs on his wrists and causing the man to leap back and fall on his ass.

It might have earned him a shock with a taser but the enjoyment of watching the bastard swat dirt off the back of his black pants was worth the full body convulsions.

Marcus heard Abbey moan with pain as she lay in Julian's arms and his twisted amusement was gone just as suddenly as he'd found it. He hated himself. He hated himself for being unable to protect his mate and pups. He hated himself for being so selfish as to think he deserved them in the first place. He hated himself for forgetting just how fragile his and his brother's mere existence was. Because of that his mate was going to die and his pups were going to be orphaned.

He growled at the Hunter, William, as he stepped from the van as well. Grange wasn't coming and even if he were what was one Alpha against nine others? He would probably never get past the Beta's and be allowed in now that blood had been spilled and the Alpha's would be out for vengeance.

He still couldn't quite believe that Grange was a real wolf. According to William, Grange's territory included Northern California, Oregon, Washington, a good sizeable chunk of Canada and all of Alaska. It was without a doubt the largest territory owned by any one Alpha. His pack was just as large and included more than just wolves. Werecats, vampires, Hunters and even an elf all called Grange Alpha.

Marcus was snapped from his thoughts when a Beta moved to put cuffs on Abbey. Julian growled at the Beta and Marcus lunged for him, coming between them and making it clear that he'd fight anyone that touched her.

"I can't wait until they tell me to kill you," the Beta sneered.

"Maybe I'll kill you first," Marcus growled back.

The Beta with the mangled arm stepped forward, "Let's get inside. The quicker we get them in there the quicker this will be over and we can get home to our mates."

Marcus watched one Beta carrying the dead body of another into the courthouse. He still couldn't believe his brother had done that. It seemed Marcus wasn't the only one with a temper that got them into trouble.

Abbey stirred around a little more in Julian's arms and she whimpered in pain, "Julian? Marcus?" she whispered without opening her eyes.

"We're here, Abbey," Julian replied.

"We're not going anywhere," Marcus added as the three of them were led up the concrete steps of the courthouse.

Marcus glanced around at the streets and saw all the eyes on them. At least the Beta's had been kind enough to give them sweat pants and t-shirt to hide their nakedness. This was already the most excitement the townsfolk had probably seen in years, if they'd still been naked the old men drinking coffee at the diner probably would have had immediate cardiac arrest.

"Where are these friends of yours?" Julian whispered when he, Abbey, Marcus and William were seated in the jury box of the large courtroom and the Beta's were distracted by the door, waiting on their Alpha's to return.

"They'll be here," William assured them. "And they're not my friends exactly. They freed me from the Hunter Council when I was a boy and while I chose not to live with them afterward, I've kept in contact."

"My babies?" Abbey jumped out of Julian's arms and cried out with pain before setting down on the chair between the brother's.

"With the Sheriff," Julian replied quietly. "The Beta's didn't want them."