Chapter Twenty-Three

A/N: It's only been a couple of hours since I posted chapter twenty-two so please make sure you've read it before you read this one!

Chapter Twenty-Three

Samantha snatched up the telephone before it had time to finish it’s first ring, “Have you found him?”

“Not him but his rental car, or at least the town the rental car is near.” Steve replied.

“Near?” Samantha questioned. “It’s not actually in the town?”

“No. Samantha, it doesn’t look good,” Steve paused. “The rental is up in the mountains and with all the snow they’ve had there’s no way he could have made it across.”

Her heart froze in her chest. Breathing became difficult. Her husband could be lost in the mountains…. Surely he’d freeze to death way up there in the February cold.

“Steve, I have to go to him….”

“I know. I’m going to take you and Kyle to Crittenden. We’ll be catching a plane in about five hours so get packed because I’m coming to pick you up. We’ll just pick Kyle up from school. Once we get off the plane it’ll be another few hours of driving before we get to the town. With any luck he’ll be there…”

Samantha said goodbye and hung up the phone. She felt as if she were on autopilot as she packed a few things for herself and for Kyle. How was she supposed to tell her eight year old son that his father could very likely be dead?

Swallowing hard, Samantha stepped out of her house with her heavy suitcase and locked the door behind her. She sat down upon the stoop to wait for Steve to pull in and a tear slipped down her cheek.

She was not going to tell him any such thing until she knew for sure. No boy so young should be forced to lose his father and if Jason was indeed dead then Samantha would hunt Joseph down herself, and if Joseph had died with his brother then Samantha would find Abbey and get her revenge.

All of this was Abbey’s fault. If the woman had dealt with her husband herself then Samantha’s would not be missing--or worse.

***

The three travelers arrived in Crittenden at nearly eleven that night and the town was dead quiet. Steve took them to the only hotel the town possessed and they got adjoining rooms on the third floor from the rather sleepy attendant who clearly wasn’t used to having folks show up at eleven at night on a Monday.

“The mountain is a good three hour drive away from here through some pretty rough country, Samantha. I know you want to get started right away but I think it would be best to wait until morning.” Steve informed her.

“My husband could be laying out there freezing to death!” Samantha hissed quietly, careful not to wake up Kyle who was sound asleep on the bed, his red hair contrasting sharply with the stark white pillowcases.

“I know you’re worried, Samantha, and I don’t mean to sound negative but if he’s been up in that car all this time then he’s not suffering any more.”

Samantha sobbed and Steve pulled her close, “I’m sorry, Samantha,” he whispered against her red hair. “I don’t want you to get your hopes up about what we’ll find here. You know, Jason. If he were able to then he would have contacted you by now. He loves you and that boy.”

“I know…” Samantha croaked against Steve’s strong chest. She let him hold her tighter, remembering just how well Steve knew how to love her body. The two of them had been having an on and off again affair for many years now and that was one reason Samantha had known she could turn to the man for help.