Chapter 7

Its two weeks after my dad was put in the hospital, again, by pneumonia. He still isnt allowed out of the hospital. They say he is in "critical condition" and needs life support. I go to see him once a week.

I walk into the bright white room. I part the drapes and sit silently on the edge of the hospital bed.
"Jinny," I turn to my dad with an empathetic look.
"I'm okay," I could see the expression of pain on his face.
"Stop lying to yourself, Jinny," he said. I pulled back my hair.
"I, just dont know what to do," I feel the tears starting. The heat and pain on my eyes. I take a deep breath before continuing, "We miss you at the house. Collin comes over early to help around the house. Our neighbor makes sure Eliot is at home after school," I see my dad smile. He looks so peaceful, yet so lifeless.

A nurse comes in to tell me he needs rest and it would be better for his condition if I left. She tells me sorry and this is just the way it is. She says come back any time. An apologetic smile was given as I left.

I exited the room and walked down the hallway to the doors. Everything felt heavy. I heard rushing feet behind me and I pushed the door open.

The parking lot was full of cars. I found mine and got in. I sat for a moment, motionless.
"Everything will be fine." I turned the keys and continued on. No one was in the car and I was in complete silence. The ride home was lonely.

I arrived at the house and Eliot wrapped himself around me "how was dad?"
"He's alright. I couldn't stay long because the nurse rushed me out," I pried the 10 year old off me. He bound out in front of me, "Collin took us to Dairy Queen and we got Blizzards!" He jumped around excitedly.
"Really?" A smile became of my mouth.
"Yeah, then he took us to the movies and we watched Zootopia!" I gave a big smile and rounded the corner into the kitchen.
"Collin is the best!" Eliot jumped up on the island counter.
"Hey," Collin hugged me and we kissed.
"Ew!" Eliot and DJ yelled and made us all laugh. I ran after Eliot and threatened to tickle him and we ran around the house for a while. I got him and he got me. Collin and DJ joined in and picked me up. He threw me on the couch as the boys tickled me. I felt at home with the four of us. It felt complete.

My phone started to ring.
"Wait! My phone is ringing," The boys stopped and let me answer.
"Hello?"
"Jinny Rodgers?" It was the receptionist from the hospital
"Yes?"
"Its Jordan Hospital and I regret to inform you that just a few minuets ago your dad um... Passed on." I choked.
"What..?" I whispered.
"Im so terribly sorry," she cleared her throat and I started to cry.
"H-how?" I barely got that out.
"He- um- drowned, from the pneumonia. We tried to drain it, but it was too late. My sincerest condolences to you and your family," She hung up and I was bawling now.

Everyone huddled around me and Collin was trying to ask me whats wrong.
"Dad... H-he... Is- de-ead" I sniffed and cried and I was a mess. Eliot and DJ started to cry in silence and Collin comforted me.

I cried until my throat was sore and my head was pounding. DJ had broken a vase and Eliot was screaming in his room. Collin looked awkward and uncomfortable. He tried his best to comfort me.

After a good 20 minuets of crying, I drank some water and sat back down on the couch.
"Are you better now?" Collin sat beside me.
"A little," I leaned into his chest, "I know I cant do anything about my dad, but I'm worried about DJ and Eliot. I don't want them in foster care or an orphanage. It's bad there and I would miss them too much."
"Well, aren't you 18? You could take them. They wont take the kids right away, maybe you can bargain with the social workers and keep them like normal until summer then you can adopt and whatever." He ran his fingers through my hair.
"I just don't think that I can do it by myself. Its a lot to take care of," I hugged my knees.
"Well you have Jack and Cole, right? They could help."
"Cole is too invested in his girlfriend right now. Its not his fault, he really likes her. Jack will, but he is a little too immature to take care of them."
"I can always help, you know," Collin adjusts his sitting position and puts an arm around me.
"I'll do it, I guess."

•--------------------------------------------•

Yo, sorry i forgot to put a thing on the end. I havent updated in a LONG while. Idk why not, but eh. I did it for my friend Alyssa because she complained to me that i need to write more, so here alyssa... HERE YA GO.

Love ya💋💋
Kat King~