Happily Ever After

Hang on, this is NOT the end. There's still one more chapter (Epilogue) and a sequel, YES, a sequel coming right up. Stay tune for more details on it!

The Lakeside Restaurant was an exclusive and luxurious restaurant which demanded all its customers to make reservations beforehand. It was situated beside a man-made lake whereby water activities like fishing and ski-ridding often took place. The restaurant’s exterior was furnished in distinct colors with a combination of blue and silver.

Alison gulped as her turn came at the front of the queue. At the check-in point, she said nervously, “I need a seat, please.” She was really nervous because the people behind and her were all decked in jewels and expensive night dresses. She heard one girl mutter, “I was expecting a 10 carat Tiffany ring but he gave me only a 5 carat one so I broke up with him!” It was terrifying to hobnob with the rich and the famous.

The Manager, who was busily checking people in, was impeccably dressed and his gold nametag read, “John Hopkins”. He eyed her doubtfully and asked, “Have you made a reservation?”

“Ah, I haven’t, but my boyfr-”

“No reservations, no entering,” he answered bossily. “Next!” Alison was pushed out of the way but a bunch of giggling girls all wearing matching Christian Dior dresses.

“Please! I’ve a friend who is waiting for me,” she whispered frantically.

“Ask your friend to come here then,” the Manager sneered.

“But I don’t have a mobile, I’m really meeting a friend here!” Alison wailed. A lot of people were staring her now. The group of look-alike girls were snickering and pointing at her. She could hear “Freak”, “Weirdo” and some other less than flattering phrases hurled at her. She wanted to cry, sink down onto her feet or just bury herself in the bushes. She felt insulted, no, pissed, was the correct word. If only someone could save her from this socially embarrassing situation….

“Is there a problem?” A low, husky voice sounded out. A man stepped from inside the restaurant and he was staring at the commotion.

“Mr Kingston!” The Manager cried out. “Don’t worry, it’s just a frisky little girl trying to barge her way in. Rest assure, the moment your date, Miss Goodall comes, we’ll notify you.”

Edward was staring at her now and squinted his eyes. Alison got up to her feet. She should just run back home now. She didn’t fit in with anyone. She didn’t even deserve to be his boyfriend. As Jessica would say, she would never match up to him.

“Alison?” he murmured.

“No, I’m not, I..er…will just go.” She should just run back home, call Edward and tell him that she was cancelling the date and that they had better not meet up because they were a mismatched couple. She was never in this league to begin with. Even those girls watching matching Gucci boots would be better suited for Edward than her.

But before she could scurry away inconspicuously, a strong arm grabbed her. “What the fuck are you doing?” he muttered.

“I…er…” There was a lump in her throat. The moment she saw him, she just couldn’t be coherent anymore. No, not those hypnotizing blue eyes….

“Mr Hopkins, this,” Edward pulled her closer to him. “-is my date. Now, will you please excuse her and let both of us enter?” he snapped unhappily.

“This is Miss Goodall?” The Manager’s eyes bulged outwards, looking like a goldfish. All the other patrons were also tittering as they watched the scene goggle-eyed.

“Yes,” Edward hissed and shoved the man out of the way, half-dragging Alison into the restaurant. Alison could barely believe her eyes. Inside the restaurant, its brightly-lit rooms with chandeliers stood out as uniformly-dressed waiters scurry past the tables whilst balancing dangerously stacked plates and cups with their hands (and sometimes on  their heads). She tried to avoid knocking into a waiter.