Cocooned Sahayatipura

2010

"Then let she be burned alive," roared Kishan Kapoor, the Panchayat head of Sahayatipura, a village near Jaipur, where freshwater had no distinction from saline water, where civilization was unknown, where modernization was unheard, where children went to the only primary school there and got educated only till 5th grade, and where farming and milking were the only occupations. The people of the village were like the Sentinelese tribe, disconnected from the rest of the world. They had their own set of rules, traditions, customs, and regulations. No stranger from other villages or cities could stay there even for a day.

While the men traveled to nearby towns to trade their farm produce, womenfolk were confined to their homes. They were allowed to go out only for fetching water from the common well. Worse, they were treated as slaves, except for a few privileged ones who claimed to have property in Jaipur. If a lower caste woman was to go against their rules, she was considered a witch and burned alive. One such incident was happening in the presence of Kishan Kapoor. Wearing a red Bandhini turban and a creamish Kurta, he looked villainous. Especially his paan-smeared mouth and his long mustache made people shiver with fear. His deep baritone was enough to stiffen anyone to righteousness.

The victim was a lower caste woman named Shoba. Though she was married to a rich merchant from the nearby town, she was not allowed to live the opulent life that she'd expected. Her husband pleaded with Kishan to let her live as per her wishes, but the latter paid no heed to his plea. She was soon considered a witch, even though she'd given birth to a beautiful daughter. The merchant was confused about whether to feel happy that he had a baby girl or to feel sad that his wife was to be burnt alive.

It was at this weak moment in the merchant's life that a woman named Ragini eyed his wealth and decided to make him hers. She belonged to one of those privileged women, as she had a palatial bungalow in Jaipur. Since she'd refused to part with the bungalow, she was made to stay in the village. She had been married before, but her husband had died in a freak accident. She had two daughters by the names of Sangamithra, a 5-year-old, and Pradhayini, a 3-year-old. Ragini met Kishan one fine day and expressed her desire to marry the rich merchant.

Kishan felt overjoyed at the thought of getting her married to the merchant. He also thought about the prospect of their village becoming richer and modernized. Once the merchant marries Ragini, he'd have to share his wealth with her, as she was also equally wealthy. Ragini would surely donate money to the village, as she had been a mistress to Kishan once. Then, with the overflow of money, Kishan can build more schools, shops, hospitals, and supermarkets, convert all the huts to houses, provide better means of employment for the men, buy computers and Smartphones, and make Sahayatipura equal to Jaipur.

Excited by the idea, he immediately summoned Shoba and ordered her to be burnt alive. The rich merchant's cries fell on Kishan's deaf ears. He watched helplessly as Shoba was tied to a log and set on fire.

Her heart-wrenching cries lingered in his ears for a long time. At that moment, he swore that he'd never marry that evil Ragini or give in to any of Kishan's wishes.

"You dumb asshole! I curse you that you might die soon. It will be a cruel death for you. I will make sure that dogs feed on your flesh. And your death will be celebrated all over." Mahesh bawled, with rage spilling out from his words. Kishan was taken aback at his harsh words. It was the first time that someone was swearing at him.

"Oh ho! What are you going to do to achieve that?" He adopted his usual sarcastic tone.

"I won't do anything. I am a staunch Buddhist. I cannot go beyond my principles. God knows what to do with you. Karma will surely hit back at you. Right now, I am leaving the village along with my daughter. You cannot do anything to me. And, this evil woman will soon turn into a pauper. I curse her too." Mahesh pointed toward Ragini and looked at her furiously.

Though Ragini shuddered at his stare, she maintained her composure, as she didn't want to lose her self prestige.

"Fine! Then, move out. I will sit back and watch how you lead your life and how you bring up your daughter."

His tone had an edge of vengeance to it. Though Mahesh could deduce that, he felt contented with his challenge. Well aware of what might happen to him, he vacated Shoba's hut, took her belongings, and moved out along with his daughter.

But as fate could have it, Kishan Kapoor had his way with him. He cunningly manipulated every move of the merchant and made sure that he tarnished his reputed image. The torture continued for another ten years. Finally, when his daughter turned 18, he lost all his wealth and struggled to make ends meet. By hook or crook, he managed to educate his daughter till the 12th grade. Since she didn't have a name, she was named Anamika by her kindergarten teacher. Since then, the name had stuck to her and all her certificates bore that name.

She turned into a beautiful dame. Just like her mother. She came to know about Sahayatipura, the immoral Panchayat head, and the gruesome act of burning her mother. She deeply wished that she could go to that village and eliminate Kishan. Though she was brought up in the town, she was also technologically ignorant. She never knew that a world outside the town existed. She had never traveled to Jaipur or got to know about how the city has advanced itself. She had always immersed herself in books and gardening.

More troubles followed Mahesh. As a result, he was forced to move to Sahayatipura and seek help from Kishan. After letting out a devilish roar, Kishan threw profanities at him.

"So, people, meet Mahesh Devra, the so-called rich merchant." He stressed ironically the word 'rich'. Mahesh clenched his fists.

"And, he has also brought his beautiful daughter along with him. She goes by the name of Anamika. But, she seems to be intelligent. She has studied till class 12. So, we can make use of her knowledge whenever we need her." Kishan looked at the girl lustfully and ogled at her from top to bottom.

Mahesh broke into a bout of tears. Anamika saw the helplessness in her father's eyes and comforted him with soothing words. They moved back to Shoba's small hut.

Kishan felt extremely happy that he'd won the challenge and made Mahesh his slave. Now, the latter had to beg for money from him. On one such occasion, Kishan proposed a clever scheme.

"Oh, my darling Mahesh! It's awful to see you like this. I feel pity that a rich merchant like you is begging for money. But, I have a plan for you. It's better than begging. Will you abide by it?"

"Tell me, Raja. I will do whatever you want me to do."

"Oh ho! You could've said this 18 years ago. I would've got you married to Ragini and saved this village. It's 2028 and we're still not advanced. The people of this village don't even know what is modernization. But if you say yes, you can bring about a change. Think about it, Mahesh. Our very own Sahayatipura can become like Jaipur."

"I am game for it, Raja. What should I do?"

"Marry Ragini."

Mahesh's eyes widened. But the next moment he realized that he was vulnerable. He had to listen to Kishan's words.

Kishan continued, "Poor Ragini! She has been waiting for you these many years. Her daughters have also grown up. Sangamithra is 23 and Pradhayini is 21. They are of marriageable age. Now, if you marry Ragini, you can receive money from her. She has sold her 5 crores worth of bungalow in Jaipur. As of now, she is the richest woman in the village. But as per the rules of this village, we don't marry off fatherless girls. So, please do the needy by marrying Ragini. Your daughter Anamika can also grow up under her supervision. You'll have enough money and you can also enjoy your life."

Mahesh did not even open his mouth for objection or acceptance. It meant that what Kishan said had to happen. That was the final word.

And thus, Mahesh was married to the haughty Ragini in a grand ceremony. And thus began Anamika's horrific journey of troubles!