four.

She breathed in deeply, painting her lungs with the mild ocean breeze.

Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

A creak of old wood from behind snapped her from meditation. She opened her eyes slowly, blinking in adjustment to the white sand ahead of her.

"Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt."

She recognised his voice instantly and chose not to turn around. "No problem." She inhaled deeply again, resuming her posture on the wide ledge of the porch.

She and Harry had exchanged words once in a while each day lately, and she was beginning to grow used to seeing him around. She found that she quite liked his company.

"How are you able to stay balanced on there, if you don't mind me asking?"

"A bit of concentration... years of practice."

Harry watched her skeptically, not seeing how it would help her in life to sit on a porch ledge. Still, he respected her intention span. He found it near impossible to meditate properly. Sometimes, while his yoga instructor droned on about a happy place, he would sit there and think about his plans for the next few days, what he wanted for lunch. Just sit there and think.

"Would you care to join me rather than stare at me?" she murmured, before exhaling.

He blinked out of his headspace, realising he had been staring at locks of curly dark hair that spiraled down her back. He wondered how she could tell.

"Um... I'm not good at meditation," he admitted, but climbed up onto the ledge anyway. He swung his legs over, letting them sway gently under him as he got comfortable.

He looked over to Ava for a moment. Her eyes were closed, her chest rising and falling slowly and steadily. She was wearing a necklace that he hadn't noticed before. It was simple but beautiful, a small beach stone decorated delicately in aqua patterns, held up by a brown thread around her neck. He decided he very much liked it.

"Where did you get that-"

"A gift from a friend," she replied, fully opening her eyes in the next moment. He looked away as soon as he could.

Realising he was caught again, he murmured, "Sorry."

"Do you apologise for everything?" she asked teasingly. She smiled, wanting him to know she spoke with a light heart.

He huffed to himself quietly. He felt drawn with the water as the sea pulled it back off the shore. And then he was released, freed onto the shoreline yet again.

"Pretty much," he exhaled. They both remained quiet for a moment as they watched the sea. It had a hypnotic effect, Harry thought.

"When did you learn to meditate?"

"Since I could sit upright," she replied simply. She paused, before deciding to add, "It was something my dad taught me."

"I see..." He could tell her father wasn't around anymore. Wherever he was, whatever he had done, Harry could tell she wouldn't want to be asked about it.

Ava decided to give up on meditation and lowered her stiff legs, letting them swing slightly. "So are you enjoying your stay, Mr Styles?"

He began to smile slightly. "Very much. I haven't felt this stress-free in a while."

"Yeah, because nothing ever happens here."

"And it's marvellous," he said.

She laughed lightly, leaning her shoulder against the pillar next to her. "I suppose so."