Chapter 2

Andrew and I were currently on our way to the diner. I sat in the passengers seat of his car looking out the window while humming the lyrics to the song that was lightly playing on the radio in the background.

"Did you hear what I said?" Andrew asked as he looked over at me.

I shook my head."I'm sorry what?"

"I said we're here" he chuckled.

I let out a nervous laugh before getting out of the car. I followed Andrew inside the diner and to a table all the way in the back where I immediately noticed a small group of people who I automatically assume are Andrew's friends. I stood there awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with every single person as Andrew introduced me to the group.

"This is my roommate Jonathan Toews, he's new here and I thought I'd bring him here and introduce him to you guys" he tells them.

I look up at them and mumble a soft but audible hello, they all smiled and began introducing themselves as Teuvo Teravainen, Corey Crawford, Trevor Van Reimsdyk, Scott Darling, and Artemi Panarin.

"Welcome to DePaul University" The person who introduced himself as Teuvo spoke, an accent was clear in his voice.

"Thank you" I smiled.

I took a seat at the end of the row next to Teuvo with Corey sitting across from me. I began telling the guys about myself, like where I came from but making sure to leave out the one detail that I was gay. The reason being that I wasn't sure how they would handle it or if they would still want to be my friend.

"Hey guys sorry I'm late" my head shot up at the sound of the male voice. I mentally hoped it wasn't who I thought it was but with the luck I had, I noticed Patrick Kane walking over to us.

"It's fine man. Do you know Jonathan?" Corey spoke.

I looked up at Patrick and noticed that he was smirking."Nice to see you again"

"Yeah you too" I mumbled and slumped back down in my seat.

The waitress came by about 10 minutes later and took everyone's order before walking to the back. I took a sip of my water and continued talking to Andrew and Corey. Our food arrived a few minutes later and we all cleaned our plates before ordering some deserts and more drinks. The diner was pretty much deserted at this point with it only being us and a few waiters in here. I looked at the time on the clock on the wall and noticed that it was past eleven, my eyes widened.

"Andrew it's getting late I think you should drive me back to the dorm" I tell him making everyone at the table, including him burst out into laughter.

I looked at all of them with confusion and embarrassment written all of over my face. The confusion because I didn't know what was so funny and the embarrassment because I'm pretty sure I just made myself look like a complete idiot in front of my friends right now. We're they even really my friends?

"Is it past your bedtime new kid?" Patrick asked, with a baby voice.

"N-No it's just t-that I have to call my mom-" I began but Patrick cut me off by laughing.

"Aw look the new kid misses his mommy" he teased once again, making everyone at the table burst out into heap of laughter, for the second time tonight.

I looked down at my plate and stood up from my seat at the table, making sure to grab my phone before walking to the entrance.

"Jonathan where are you going?" I heard Andrew call from the table, but I just ignored him and continued walking. I sat on the empty bench in front of the restaurant I debated on whether I should call my mom or not but then I remembered that she had work early in the morning so I decided to call her tomorrow when I finish all of my classes.

I let out a sigh, I knew I should've stayed home, I could've been watching a movie or even calling my mom right now but no I had to be an idiot and come here with him to meet his friends. I probably would've had a better if Patrick hadn't shown up. I hadn't even known him a full day and I could already tell that I was never going to like him.

After sitting out here for a while I decided to go back to the restaurant where I noticed Patrick standing outside with a cigarette bud in his mouth as he typed something on his phone.

"Hey Jonny where'd you go, are you ok?" Patrick asked. Wait is that concern I hear? Ha Patrick concerned, that's a good one I thought to myself.

"I'm fine" I mumbled and pushed past him, only to feel him grab my arm and pull me back.

"Don't touch me" I snapped and pulled my arm back.

"Look I just want to know if you're ok" I felt his grip on my arm release as soon as he finished his sentence. I stood in front of him, the smell of cigarette smoke clear in the air making me want to gag.

I sighed."I'm fine ok and I don't see why you would care anyways" and with that I pushed slightly past him and made my way into the restaurant before he could stop me.

"Hey where'd you go?" Was the first thing Andrew asked when he noticed me.

"Just went for outside for some air, no big deal" I shrugged.

"Oh ok. Well we can go back to the dorm now" he tells me as he grabs his keys off the table.

I nodded in response and followed him to the car where we both hopped in and drove off.