Chapter 24: Angry Ginger Woman.

Hannah.

I can't believe I'm doing this. WHY an I doing this? Austin I just wish I could kill you sometimes.. If I was tall enough I'd wring your neck. I was grumbling to myself as I parallel parked, horribly by the way, outside of an restaurant/cafe and got out to look for my grandmother, who said she was already here, five minutes ago.

I went inside and the hostess directed me to a heavily shaded outside, corner table, (after having to explain the physical details of my grandmother to her, it took for her to know who I meant when I added, just an angry ginger woman) where sure enough she was sitting there, a coke already in a glass in front of her, and reading over the menu.

"Here you are ma'am." The hostess seated me and went back to her booth with an extra perky smile on her face.

I got comfortable, slid off my sunglasses, and smiled nervously at the woman whose house I snuck out of and never called, texted, or spoke to for weeks, almost a month I think, now and I felt like I was suddenly on trial.

"Hey Grandma." See? That was simple enough, right?

She popped her head from her menu and looked me over sternly. It was a lot harsher than when Austin did it, and I was now super uncomfortable. "Well you're not dead." She shrugged and looked back at her menu.

Inside, my jaw dropped, I took a glass of water, andsurprise spittle from my mouth drenched her. "Well you're not dead?" What the hell is that?! I cleared my throat and tried to push on, for Austin's sake.

"I've been staying at Austin's." I announced and she made no gestures. "His band finally got sighed." It came out sounding like I was begging for approval. I don't need her approval! I'm an adult for Christ's sake! But... I want it..

I looked down at my hands and sighed into them, nervous and trying to keep my composure, because the truth was, and is, that I DO miss my family, but I'm not ready to come home.. If I ever will be.

"So are you pregnant?" She asked and I looked up at her face. She had put her menu down and looked a little more sincere, but it's sad it had to be because she was expecting something drastic.

"No! Austin and I are just friends." I made a yuck noise and she smirked, cracking her hard exterior. "You know I hate children. I never want to be a mother, I could barely tolerate being an Aunt." I shook in my seat and she laughed as the waitress came back and took out orders.

"So then what?" She calmed down and folded her hands on the table top, and I could read hurt in her eyes still. "Ready to come home?" Her voice softened and i bit my lip, dreading he reaction to my choices.

I shook my head and she shook her head at me in turn. The anger side if her flashed back and she looked away from me. "I like living with Austin and his dad. It's.. Calm, there." I knew I was mumbling, but I couldn't force myself to talk any louder. "I wanted to tell you about Of Mice & Men's record deal." At this point I was hunching over the table.

"Of Mice & Men? Isn't that an old book?" She scoffed and the food arrived plate by plate, mostly side dishes, and we were alone again as quickly as we had ordered.

"It's the name of the band."

She nodded, looking like she was trying to understand. "So what's so exciting about this band? I thought we were ere to talk about you and me and maybe you coming home to your sister and I." She sucked on the straw of her drink and watched me with a face of joking aside.