Chapter Five

I was surrounded by the grumbles and mutters of men and women, each settling down on the benches around us, which were gathered within a large tent.  We had just finished our first four training exercises, all basic things like running and maneuvering in various environments.  I felt resentful, knowing that this was only the first part of my first day, and I was already exhausted.  However, I was overwhelmed with relief when Zach announced that those attending the Pokémon training class would be leaving shortly.  Only some people in our class acknowledged the announcement.
I sat alone, nibbling on an apple that had been handed out to me.  Fate had left my side, chatting with two other boys who looked to be in their late teens.  I wasn't completely surprised that he had left; I was just a small, antisocial little girl.
"Excuse me!" a woman's voice called out over the wall of noise emitting from our class,  which quickly dulled.  "May I have your attention?"
I looked around, my eyes eventually landing on the source of the voice, which was a pretty, young woman with curly, pale blue hair that drifted down to her waist.  Her light silver eyes were wide, however she did not seem nervous.
"Hello, my name is Ivory, and I will be one of the few people teaching our Pokémon training class.  Would any of you registered to attend please come with me?"
I tentatively stood up, anxious to finally do something I felt slightly comfortable in.  A few others followed my lead, walking over to the young woman.
"Hello."  The woman greeted us with a warm smile, and we began walking out of the tent.  "May I ask for your names?"
"I'm Tatsaru," a boy looking to be only seventeen or eighteen spoke next to me with a rather cold voice.
"Jane," a woman said behind me, sounding uninterested.
As the other few mentioned their names, I stared at Ivory, gazing at her toned body covered beneath a long white jacket that cut off at her elbows and knees.  Though she had a dainty figure, her arms looked muscular and scarred, with her small, calloused hands at her hips.  She looked like a warrior.
"Excuse me," Ivory spoke up, her obvious impatience snapping me out of my thoughts.  "Might you tell me your name?"
I gazed back into her silver eyes, lost for words as my tongue stumbled to speak.
"This is Veerium," a familiar voice spoke behind me, eventually reaching my side.  "And I'm Fate."
I met Fate's now familiar eyes, appalled.  "You're a Pokémon trainer?"
He smiled.  "You bet.  Have been for two years now."
He's probably better than me then, I thought with a frown.
Ivory nodded, seeming intrigued that there were two children in her class.  "Alright now, follow me." 
We made our way through various other tents and groups of people, all seeming focused on their activities.  There was a steady wave of sound through the air, causing discomfort to crawl through my body.  I flinched when an earsplitting bang sounding nearby, though this was clearly normal as no one else seemed to notice. 
Fate seemed to notice my now normal anxiety, for he pressed up against my shoulder.  "So, Vee, have you battled a lot?"
"Not really," I replied, leaning in slightly to his touch.  "Though I just recently participated in my first formal battle."
"Oh, cool.  How did you like it?  And how did you do?"
"Uh, it wasn't the best, so to speak, and I guess I lost?"
"That's too bad," he said, pausing, "hopefully it'll be better today."  I looked up to find his familiar smile, and I reflected his expression.
I like his smile.
We exited the hoard of tents eventually, walking for probably ten minutes until we reached a clearing.  In the middle stood a massive, gleaming figure, which I took to be something similar to be a diamond.  It wasn't long, however, until I realized that the gleaming surface was that of an extraordinary glass building, supported with thick metal beams.  I was appalled by its massive, rectangular shape.
"Is that the Pokémon training building?"  The woman named Jane asked, actually sounding interested.
Ivory, who was at the front of our group, turned, nodding to Jane over her shoulder.  She seemed pleased with our expressions, even proud.
"This is where we will meet for each Pokémon training practice.  It is called the Stellar Tower, and it also has over twenty underground training areas, along with a fenced in clearing behind it over five miles long."  Her eyes moved back towards the building.  "It was built recently when we aligned with many other towns and decided to take part in this war, so this building is shared between thousands of people all over the world."
"Damn," Fate whispered, his eyes alit as he stared at the massive, gleaming tower.
"Now, if you would please follow me inside," Ivory said, motioning us forward.
Rather willingly, everyone followed, seeming more eager to enter the building as we moved closer.  My excitement seemed to get the better of me, as I began squirming under my thick jacket.
As we approached the massive, gleaming glass doors, Ivory spun around, a smile crossing her face.  "As your new fellow trainer, I welcome you to the Stellar Tower," she spoke proudly, pulling the doors open.
And as I walked inside, I grew speechless with what lay before me.
Walls so high we could barely see the top loomed around us as we entered an immensely large, open room.  It was filled with activity, consisting of countless people and Pokémon.  As I looked around with wide eyes, I remarked how varied the people and Pokémon were, yet everyone seemed so comfortable together.
I immediately decided that I loved the building.
We, along with many others, were herded to the side of the large room, where many tables were lined up.  A person sat on the opposite end, and we were once again brought into the rather boring, time-consuming registration process.  As I waited for my turn, I gazed, awed, around the area, watching as a tall man passed by me, a massive, sword-looking Pokémon levitating behind him.
"Might want to close your mouth before you start drooling," Fate snickered nearby.
I shook my head slightly, flushing when I realized he was right, as a small dribble of spit was just barely leaking out of my mouth.  "Oh, shut up," I grumbled, twisting around to hit him, which he, of course, dodged. 
"How are you two doing so far?"
At the sudden voice approaching, I quickly drew away from Fate, standing up straight to meet the newcomer.  However, I relaxed slightly when I saw Ivory's pretty, elegant figure approaching us.
"I must say, I'm very impressed that the two youngest in our military program are also involved in our Pokémon program."  Her warm smile and soft voice was almost soothing, fending off the anxiety that crept along in the back of my mind. 
"Yeah, I was surprised too," Fate replied.  "I'm excited to take part in this program and learn all I can."
I admired his mature and composed tone.
I nodded, clearing my throat.  "What will we be doing after this?"
Ivory's brilliant, silver gaze met my own, causing me to stiffen.  "We wish to analyze your knowledge and skill in Pokémon battling right away, so we know what we are working with.  Students will pair up and take part in a battle so we can accomplish this."
Fate's excitement seemed to overwhelm my anxiousness.  "Awesome!"  He shot me a bright, yet challenging gaze.  One that I did not exchange.
"Name, please!" someone called, and I realized I was next in line to be registered.  I slowly stepped forward, giving my name and necessary information in a nearly monotone voice, as my thoughts were elsewhere.
Please don't let me get practically slaughtered again on my first day.