Chapter 1: An Unforgettable Night

(Bare with me, my spelling is terrible, typing is slow, and access to my computer for a decent amount of time to type up stuff is hard to come by, please be patient. THANKS!! :))

The move, and divorce, was all so sudden; the three children in the Aura House were suspecting something was amiss, but not even the oldest, of 24 would guess that their parents were so unhappy with each other to become "separated." The father was always the black sheep of the family, he would always be silent during the family dinners, held no opinion for vacations, and was the parent that was always invisible at the children’s sport or group events. However, he was the strict, discipline parent; and he was determine to see the country, so every year or two, he would force his family to move into another state and to pick up where they left off. His wife had always thought that once they had children, that they would settle down and build up a strong healthy relationship. Only, he was not convinced to stop his constant travels. The mother finally had enough to secretly plan a divorce and near the end of the divorce to be finalized, she decided to take the kids away from their father and to move into a three story town house so they could keep their newest friends. The father had suddenly disappeared, but that was just always common for Amelia and her younger brother, Brandon to be used to; so the mother rented a moving van and bought large moving boxes for them. Amelia, the sixteen year old girl that was often ignored from both parents, was already done packing away all of her belongings when Nikki, the 24 year old child that was like a supportive friend to Amelia, had drove into the drive-way with the truck. Amelia was the only one to have even started packing, let alone being completely done, so her mother figured that they could move all of her stuff to the new house that day, although they had rented the truck for the whole weekend.

Her family left her alone at the empty house for one night, but she did convince her mother to move the family television, couch, and dining room table so she could fix up the house during her alone time. Everything was put into its new place at the new house far before dusk approached the town house; Amelia suddenly realized that having a TV was pointless without cable. Out of desperation, Amelia decided to call her good friends of six months and have them spend the night; completely disobeying her mother's only requirement for moving Amelia before everyone else; to not allow anyone into the house. So, she used her cellphone to call her guy friend first, James, because she had met his mother a few times, and she was not about to enrage her by calling after dark. Once the phone began to ring, she anxiously waited for someone to answer the phone, and was secretly hoping James would answer instead of his mother.

Suddenly, the ringing stopped and in the background there was yelling and a loud thud and shattering noise; a male voice was screaming but it was muffled by an angry sigh. "Hello?" A woman said into the phone, with a strong, Afircan American attitude.

"Oh, umm, is James there?" Amelia muttered into the speaker.

"What? OH, you are gonna have to speak up, hon." His mother demanded into the phone. More yelling in the background indicated that she was in the middle of an argument.

Amelia was scared to repeat her question; for fear that she was fighting with James. He and his mother never seemed to just put their differences aside for anyone’s sake, but no one can blame them, he was adopted which automatically gave a hard relationship to work with. James never liked his foster mom, but to stay close to his friends, he decided to suck it up long enough to turn eighteen.

“Is anyone there?! HELLO?!”

“Umm, is James there?”

“Oh, no, he ain’t here. He went out with some girl, something like Mad-a-lyn, I don’t care.”

She was sure that his mother was talking about Madeline, her other best friend. His mother never listened to what he says, unless he mentions drugs, alcohol, or death, and then he’ll have her attention. Since they have a huge lack of communicate, his mother never felt the need to buy him a cell phone, but now that Amelia knew that her two friends were together, it would just like killing two birds with one stone.