Chapter 22: Months Pass On. Then Tragedy.

Começar do início

It was nearing dusk when Lucy said to her siblings;

"We'd better give her the present before we have to leave."

"What present?" Miranda asked. The boys gave each other a grin and ran off.

"Where on earth are they going," Miranda asked the girls. But the sisters just gave each other a sly smile, and didn't say a thing.

A few moments later, the brothers came back, carrying a long, narrow, rectangular object underneath a blanket.

"Now, what you should know," Lucy said, "Is that most of the work is mine. The others just supervised."

"Oh Ha Ha!" Edmund snickered. "Then you can give me back all the money it took to get you the materials."

"And you can give me back all the hours I took sitting for you," Susan laughed.

"And you can give me back all the ideas and memories that I gave you for you to finish it off," Peter finished with a grin.

"Oh, alright," Lucy said, pretending to be hurt," If you insist."

Peter and Edmund layed the large object on the ground, and all four threw the blanket off.

Miranda couldn't hide her gasp.

For underneath the blanket was a large, hand drawn picture of all the things that she had loved from Narnia. Miranda had seen pictures like this already that Lucy had drawn for the others, but never had she seen one quite like this.

The Stone Table was in the far right corner of the picture. Aslan stood beside it, the largest thing in the picture, all covered in golden light. After that came a face she recognized; Orieus, dressed in full armor. Right beneath him was the fox Hunta. To the far left of the picture was Cair Paravel. Beside it was 5 people. Peter and Edmund were first, both dressed in full armor, carrying swords, and crowns upon their heads. Peter held Rhindon high above his head. Susan and Lucy were next to them, also dressed in armor, and both carrying bows and arrows. Crowns were also placed upon their heads. Susan's horn was by her side, and Lucy's cordial and knife were around her waist. Beside them was King Caspian, wearing great Narnian armor, with a sword in one hand and a knife in the other.

And right in the middle of the picture was herself. She was riding Onyx, who was drawn blacker than the night, with neither bridle or saddle. She looked like she always had in Narnia: darker, older, stronger. Her hair was long and windswept, and she also wore Narnian armor. And in her right hand, glowing bright, was Alanosa.

Miranda couldn't say anything for a moment. What could she say?

"How about "thank you"," Susan helped when Miranda remained silent.

Miranda looked up and laughed, and everyone noticed the sound of her laugh. It wasn't happiness. It wasn't pleasure. It was joy.

No one was ever quite sure how they managed to take the picture back and let no adult see it. Peter once said that he believed that they had gone blind for a moment. Susan thought that they had hidden it too well. Edmund shared that he thought that Aslan knew that it was special, and let it remain hidden. Lucy thought that the adults were just not paying attention. Miranda believed that all the grown-ups had known, only pretended they hadn't. But whatever the reason, the adults never mentioned it, and the picture was put into Miranda's room, slightly hidden away, but always there.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Two weeks later.

Ring! Ring!

Peter jumped when he heard it. Oh, brother, he had forgotten! He flew out of his bed and ran down the stairs, jumping the last few. He finally reached the phone and grabbed it.