Recovery

Bree:

Abandoned Bar

Abandoned Bar

Bree was sitting in a darkened, old shambled abandoned bar, drinking, listening to a baseball game on the radio without really hearing it, having been crying. She was looking at a picture of herself, Steve, Bucky and Alec that was taped to the inside of her compass.

Steve walked in, looking around the house for his sister until he found her.

Bree saw him, wiping the tears away, sniffling. "Dr. Erskine said that... the serum wouldn't just affect the subject's muscles. It would affect their cells. Create a protective system... of regeneration and healing. Which means, um... I can't get drunk." Steve walked closer. "Did you know?"

"He told me that my metabolism burns four times faster than the average person," Steve told her. "He thought it could be one of the side effects. Not just for me. But for you, too." Bree didn't respond, gazing off. "It wasn't your fault. It wasn't anybody's fault. We did everything we could. I believed in Bucky and Alec. I respected them. I still do. I can't blame myself. And you can't blame yourself." Bree let a few more tears slip away. "That was the dignity of their choice. Alec and Bucky thought that we were worth it. Buck damn well thought that you were worth it."

Bree took a moment to gather her voice, wiping her tears away, looking at her engagement ring. "I'm going after Schmidt. I'm not going to stop till all of Hydra is dead or captured."

Steve took Bree's hand. "You won't be alone."

Bree looked up at Steve.

Allies Base

Soldiers, Peggy and Howard were meeting.

"Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house," Phillips told them. "He thinks he's a god and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it. Starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capabilities," Howard told them. "He gets across the Atlantic. He'll wipe out the entire eastern seaboard in an hour."

"How much time we got?" Steve asked.

"According to my new best friend, 24 hours," Phillips answered, referencing Dr. Zola.

"Where is he now?" Jones asked.

Phillips pointed at the map. "Hydra's last base is here. In the Alps, 500 below surface."

"So, what are we supposed to do?" Morita asked. "It's not like we can just knock on the front door."

"Why not?" Bree asked. They looked at her. "That's exactly what we're going to do."