Parents Approval?

Amber and yourself had been together for a few months now. Only select people knew, including Amber's parents, who were extremely supportive, and a handful of trustworthy friends.

You were eighteen and you were a week away from graduating high school. This is an important factor for you because you had always liked Amber and, the fact that you two were dating overwhelmed you. But, your parents were extremely strict and telling them would be risky. So, if they did disapprove, they would disown you or whatever, but you'd be free from their care. Independent and carefree.

You were lost in thought for a few moments until Amber tapped your nose lightly. You two were currently sitting in a food court at a local mall. Amber was telling you a story of how she first learned to skateboard. You had heard this story previously and loved hearing it, but today you were anxious.

"Is everything okay, babe?" Amber asked in a concerned voice. You nodded and gave her a small smile. She didn't look convinced but she let it slide. She gathered the remainder of the trash on the table and got up to throw it away. You watched her carefully. She turned around and smirked at you. She walked back to the table and grabbed your wrist, pulling you out of your seat. She intertwined your hands and began walking towards the stores.

After finishing shopping, you two headed to a restaurant where you had dinner reservations with your parents. You had planned to tell them here and you really hoped that you had the courage. You were almost sure that they were expecting something, especially since you hadn't had a boyfriend since junior high.

Amber pulled into the parking lot of the overly fancy eatery and parked the car. You still had your head turned, looking out the window, trying to calm your mixed thoughts. You were afraid, no. Actually, you were completely terrified. You had began to shake a little and tears brimmed at the edges of your eyelids. You put your hands onto your knees and took a deep breath. Amber grabbed your chin and turned your head to meet her gaze. She noticed your state and put her hand on your cheek, pulling you in. Your lips met and you let out a small whimper. She slid her hand down your arm and pulled away. She looked at you with such care and said, "Everything will be alright, okay (y/n)? I love you and nothing that they say will change that." She kissed you on the forehead and turned off the car. You smiled and took another deep breath. "Well..." You said, hesitating, "Let's get this over with." Amber nodded and opened her door. She jogged in front of the car over to your side. She opened the passenger door and let you out, closing it behind you. She grabbed your hand and you two made your way into the restaurant.

You all sat down together, your mother and father seated across from Amber and yourself. Light conversation was happening currently. "You know dear, you are graduating soon and all... And, unless you want to die alone, I suggest that you find a man. Oh! Amanda's son is quite the looker and I must say, he is very well loaded with money." Your mom said, trying to start a conversation. You cringed and laughed a little. "Yeah... Sure mom..." You said, looking down. Amber placed her hand on your knee under the table. She smirked and looked at your mother. "I must say, quite a few guys at school have had their eyes on your daughter. How unlucky they are." Amber said, her smirk growing. Your mom looked a bit confused but continued conversing with your father. You looked at Amber and she avoided your gaze, sliding her hand up, stopping at your mid thigh. Your body stiffened. You could hear her let out a small chuckle. God, you hated how she could make you feel.

When you all had finished eating, you decided now was the time. You had to tell them. Your father was joking around with Amber and they both seemed to be enjoying themselves. You cleared your throat and caught everyone's attention. "Mother, father, I have something to tell you both. It's quite important and-" You said, until your mother cut in, "Oh my! Look at that cute boy over in the corner! He's even sitting alone! Why not go talk to him dear?" You sighed. Your parents would never approve of you and Amber's relationship. You weren't good enough for Amber and you needed to accept that. Tears threatened again so you decided that you needed to be excused. "Excuse me." You said, saying over their laughs. You scooted your chair out loudly and quickly and speed walked to the bathroom. You opened the doors and made your way over to a stall. You found one and locked yourself in it, sliding your back against the wall. You let your tears fall and you sobbed quietly.

"Amber should leave me already." You thought aloud. "I'm no good for her." You said and laughed harshly. "Those are lies, (y/n)." You heard a familiar voice say. "Open the door, please." Amber said. You wiped your tears and got up. You put your hand on the lock but then hesitated with unlocking it. "Please (y/n)." Amber pleaded. You sighed, unlocking the door. Your eyes were glued to the ground. Amber walked in and pushed the door closed. She locked it behind her and pulled you into a hug. She rubbed your back and played with your hair. You two had stayed in this position for a small amount of time. "We can do this together. It'll all be okay." Amber said, pulling away. You nodded. "Okay." You said.

She pulled you out of the bathrooms, her hand holding yours. At this point, you hoped that your parents would notice themselves. They had to suspect something if they didn't already. I mean, it was pretty obvious. When you weren't working or at school, you were with Amber. You two sat back down at the table and locked eyes with your parents. "Now, mom, dad, I have something quite important to share. I'd really appreciate if you'd listen this time." You can. By now, their full attention was on you. You cleared your throat. "Amber and I are dating. I know that you want me to be with a guy and all but-" you said, before your parents starting laughing. You looked at Amber with a confused look, she returned the look. "Honey!" Your mom said, "We know! It's super obvious!" You were shocked. "W-wait? So-so you guys like... Don't mind and-" you said. "Of course not! We both love Amber!" You father said, still laughing a bit. You smiled and turned to Amber. She smiled back. "Thank you both. I promise to take care of your daughter." Amber said, shaking your parents hands. "I expect you to." Your father said, smiling. "As do I." Your mother said. You let out a breath of relief. You turned to Amber and she took your hand, kissing the back of it. "I love you." She said. "I love you too." You replied.