Chapter won

Chapter Won

Today just isn’t going my way—you can just tell but how I’m in the school’s nurses office, listening to the clock click as I wait for Ms. Tibito, the new nurse who just graduated college last year, to finish up with Tyler Bullerman’s black eye that he got from Jason Wisman in football, I was also here from the same game—I’m just praying to God that Ms. Tibito doesn’t make the principle stop letting us play football because of all the injuries coming in today.

      Tyler came out of Ms.Tibito’s room holding an icepack up to his left eye. After he had left the nurses office I slowly made my way into Tibito’s room looking around—it was a fairly big, light brown, room. There was a doctor’s table to the right and a desk to the left next to a sink and a filing cabinet.

“How can I help you….?” She was looking for my name I believe.

“Andrew, Drew Daniels.”

“Andrew, how can I help you?” she smiled at my kindly. She was a beautiful creation of God’s, but she was definitely too old for me.

“Umm I was playing football and I all-of-a-sudden got really dizzy, lost my breath and I think I almost passed out.” I chuckled, it wasn’t very manly for a guy to almost faint but frankly I have been really dizzy lately and at times it felt like I might fall unconscious.

“Were you running a lot?” she asked concerned. I shook my head. She gestured to the doctor’s table, “Sit down please.” I did as she asked without a word and watched her as she took her stethoscope out of her large pocket. She asked my to either pull up my shirt or take it off. I pulled my shirt over my head and put it in a pile next to where I sat.

     Ms. Tibito placed her cold stethoscope to my warm chest, I wanted to hit the cold tool away but I restrained myself.

She pulled away rather quickly which worried me a bit. She stared at my bare chest as if she’d never heard something so…different. She signaled with her hand to stand up and I did, I must have had a rather surprised look on my face because she replied to it “We’ve got to get you to a real doctor, right now.”

“Uhh, why?” She reached across my back, grabbed my right shoulder and steered me out into the waiting room where now Bill Gubver and Tony Linkon sit with a bruised jaw and bloody nose.

“Sorry boys, you’re going to have to go to the office, ask for an icepack for the jaw and just a tissue for the nose.” She kept leading me with a fast pace.

   I stopped abruptly and turned around to face her, letting her arm drop off my back, she also slowed to a stop.

“Tell me what’s going on or I won’t go with you anywhere.” I said in all seriousness, I hate it when I don’t know what’s going on.

She lowered her eyes, took a deep breath then looked up into my eyes and said “I think you are having the symptoms of Heart Cancer.” She looked like a girl who just heard she might have cancer, her wavy brown hair hung around her face and her green eyes looked truly sorry. We stood only inches away from each other and I stood only about 2 inches taller.

“Okay,” I said slowly after deciding to give into her care.

“We’ll just take my car which is on the east side.” We walked side by side at a rather fast speed as my mind raced to try to grasp the thought of dying.

I looked around the parking lot, trying to spot the car that might be the nurse’s, and then I saw the flashing of lights on a sleek black Ferrari Monterey.