lie letter | o. tooru (edited)

Gender-neutral pronouns
•••••••

Today is like most days, Oikawa thought.

He felt the emptiness inside of him, pushing him to his limit. It was painful, the feeling when he feels that something is missing, when a gaping hole is left in his heart.

This month-long emptiness made him drown into deep thought, questions that begin with "why" swirl into the crevices of his mind, taking his attention away. The feeling somehow made the teacher call his attention many times, and steal the concentration he had on volleyball, the only solace he had, and made the coach send him home early because of his mediocre job in the sport.

He gazed at the empty seat beside him, the source of all his distraction and longing. The emptiness of the seat bothered him, so much.

"Not today, huh?"

He forced a smile as he continued the novel he was reading.

I'm okay.

He knew that this was a lie.

A bang of the door being slid open forcefully was heard, directing the attention of everyone, including Oikawa, who put his novel down for a closer look. There he saw a mess of red hair and green eyes, panting and holding a stationery envelope. He recognized the female that intruded as Hoshi Reiki, a girl he saw once with the emptiness.

"I'm looking for Oikawa Tooru." she said.

Heads turned to him and whispers emerged from their hiding places. Girls exchanged words that contained the word "confession" and boys laughed at the fact that this was yet another confession to add to many left in ruin and defeat.

Oikawa stood, silencing the class, and walked toward the girl who sought his presence. He shut the door behind him as he left with the girl, indicating that he wanted to have some privacy. He motioned the female to go to a place more private, and they found themselves in the far end of the corridor, with no people present except for the two of them.

The brunet leaned against the wall, crossed his arms and smiled a bit on the girl, who was bowing her head and offering the letter to him. Reiki looked serious, and judging by the appearance she made, no smile of Oikawa would uplift her expression.

"(F/n)-chan wanted to hand this to you."

The male straightened his back, surprised to get something from (f/n) in the days that they were never present. He then took the letter from her waiting hands, looking at the (f/c)-colored envelope that reminded him of so much of them.

A question that unconsciously came from his lips shocked Reiki suddenly. It was the very question that Oikawa has been keeping in his head for eons, that he despearately wanted to find an answer to.

"Where is (f/n)?"

Reiki didn't know how to respond. Instead, she looked at the floor, then the male. The floor, then Oikawa. She repeated this to evade the question but Oikawa stopped her.

"Reiki, where is—" he began.
"Just read it!" she said with evident demand.

The brunet broke the seal hesitantly and slid the lone piece of paper outside of the envelope. The letter was then unfolded, and neat characters spelled a few words.