My Dear Brother pt.1

Start from the beginning

I groaned and got up from my bed. Thinking about Kain always made my mood all gloomy; may be because I had hoped that when he started college that he would treat me differently. One can wish, right?

I grabbed my hoodie from my desk and walked out of my room and went into my little sister’s room. Keith’s little brother was my sister’s best friend. They were just too cute together.

“Trish?” I knocked on the door. Even though she’s only four years old, she has one hell of a temper and will put you in your place if you get her pissed off.

Trish looked over at me from her small desk by the window. Her curly auburn hair was tied in a messy ponytail and her caramel cheeks were a pinkish color. Her big blue eyes looked at me and a big smiled spread across her lips.

“Andy!” She jumped off the desk and jumped into my arms. The girl just adores me.

“Want to go to Keith’s house with me?” I twirled her around earning a few giggles.

“Yes!” She tapped my shoulders; sign to let her down. As she was grabbing her jacket, and having a bit if trouble putting it on, I heard a chuckle coming from the door.

I turned to see Kain leaning against the door frame with a smirk on his lips. I glared at him and crossed my arms over my chest; I was about to give him a piece of my mind when Trish pulled on my pant leg.

“I’m ready, let’s go.” She smiled at me and then looked at Kain.

Kain crouched to Trish’s level and opened his arms, “No hug for me?”

Trish giggled and ran into Kain’s arms. She wrapped her small arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. Kain smiled and kissed the top of her head. I narrowed my eyes at him. He was only nice to Trish nowadays.

“Where you two going all dressed up?” He asked.

“We’re going to Bobby’s house!” She exclaimed happily and turned to smile at me. Kain looked at me and the smirk returned to his lips.

“Can I come?”

I grabbed Trish out of his arms and carried her down the stairs. “No, you can’t. You don’t even like Keith.”

Kain laughed, “You really think taking Trish over to Keith’s house will earn you brownie points? Please, I’m sure Keith has much better things to do than put up with your love-struck face all day long.”

I turned to look at Kain with a glare that if it was possible, it could kill. Placing Trish down, I whispered in her ear to grab some snacks for her and Bobby and put them in her backpack. She ran to the kitchen and left Kain and I alone.

“What’s it to you? It’s not like you fucking care.”

Kain’s eyes widen but the smirk remained. “Andy, everyone knows you’re crushing on Keith. Why not just fuck him already?”

This type of teasing was the worse. I could feel tears sting my eyes but I bit them back. It was true that I was crushing on Keith a while back, but now it was all different. Keith had a girlfriend who he loved dearly, and he was my best friend. It wasn’t the fact that Keith had a girlfriend that hurt; it was Kain’s words that brought tears to my eyes.

“Just leave me the fuck alone, Kain.” I mumbled and walked to the kitchen to get Trish, who had packed her backpack full of cookies.

“Why you crying, Andy? Is Kain being a meanie again?” Her little cheeks turned red as she dropped her backpack and was about to storm out the kitchen before I grabbed her.

I chuckled as I hugged her and she hugged me back, “Let’s get out of here for a while, ok?”

Trish nodded and kissed my cheek. It may sound cheesy and dorky, but her hugs and kisses always made me feel better. I remember when it was Kain’s hugs that once helped me feel better. Now his words made my heart ache.