En Route

(You guys, I'm sorry for the slow update- I had to teach a writing workshop, and I published a Bucky Barnes fanfic called Red, White, & You- please check it out! Speaking of Bucky, he's going to make his appearance in the next chapter!)

Grace's heart was pounding as she followed T'Challa up the stairs, just like she had done only hours before, but now she had no idea where she was. Surprisingly, there hadn't been that many HYDRA agents that came out after them, which was suspicious. T'Challa was on edge, waiting for the next attack to come. His senses were heightened, but not as heightened as Grace's.

 The hallway at the top of the stairs stretched out in front of them like a tunnel, and Grace couldn't tell if there were any doors. T'Challa ran down the hall, but in a flash, Grace sensed something above him, and snatched it away- it was a man dressed in all black, just like the others who had attacked him. With a flick of her wrist,  Grace sent him flying into the wall, knocked out cold, probably with several broken ribs. All of this had happened in seconds, enough time for T'Challa to turn around to look at her.

"Watch your back." Grace warned him. He nodded. This girl was full of surprises, he thought- surprises that would come in handy in the near and immediate future.

 He pulled the door open at the end of the hall, stepping through it.

"He's too bold and reckless," Grace thought. "He's not even bothering to move cautiously, he just goes-"

She saw T'Challa strike at something, followed by a hard kick. There were more HYDRA agents in the next hall. Now Grace was mad- she was getting tired of this. It dawned on her that she wasn't even afraid anymore, just angry. Angry at being re-captured by these bastards, and angry that escaping captivity wasn't easy. She wasn't going to let them control her ever again. Just because they made her what she was now didn't mean that they owned her, or could take her back like some damn dog-catcher. So much for street trash, she'd show them now.

She closed her eyes, channeling her anger. It came out in green flashes, like wisps of some ghost, spreading out into the hallway. There were ten of them, but she didn't care.

.......

I felt my fingers, like they were extended, wrapping into those ten throats all at once, squeezing. As if I was out of my own body, I knew I was walking into the room, past T'Challa, just barely aware of his presence. I didn't care if they died- I didn't care at all. I kept squeezing, watching them kick and thrash, trying to get out of my grip. My eyes went from face to face, as they looked more and more purple- until I recognized one.

Coggs.

Coggs, at least that's who I knew him as, had been the "Good Cop" in the training that HYDRA had put me through- there was another, whose name I was never told, who was the "Bad Cop". I had come to trust Coggs, and had told him of my mother, and of my father's desertion. He sometimes stood outside of my cell block, and brought me my meals from time to time, when the stern Russian sergeant wasn't kicking me around.

I remembered the day I found out that he had been a liar. One day, he brought me nothing, didn't tell me how the weather was outside, didn't greet me with a friendly smile. He was angry- he demanded to know why I had not been preforming with my powers to my full abilities, that SHIELD could not use me if I didn't cooperate. He tried to grab me- grab me by what?

Oh, that's right, he tried to grab me by my throat. He tried to choke me, until I struggled out of his grip through the bars, and pushed him back.