a birthday present

Depuis le début

"Actually, I had something in mind."

I have to do it now, before I leave. I need to take her out before it's too late.

"Like what? It's not like you to turn food down."

"I mean, I had something planned for us."

"Mikey. . . I can't stay out any later."

"It's your birthday."

"Not much to celebrate," she mumbles. "And it was yesterday."

"Yeah, but I didn't get to celebrate it with you last night," I say, and her being so negative is kind of bringing me down as well. "So you're turning me down?"

"No, I'm not. I'm just saying it was yesterday."

"At least let me treat you to some takeaway and late birthday cake. I kicked the boys out so we've got the flat all to ourselves. I might even let you choose a film to watch."

"So is this a. . ?"

"Date?" I finish her sentence, "I guess it could be. Unless you don't want it to, then it's just a birthday party. For two. A day late."

"I can't."

"But I'm a responsible, kind person who will make sure you'll get food and get you home on time after."

"You're the least responsible person I know."

"But you'll let me get you home before midnight? After being treated to cake?"

"I have to let my dad know," she says.

A moment later, she's got her phone pressed to her ear. Her brows are shaped into a frown as she tries to negotiate her way our of having to go home early. She doesn't seem hopeful. But I'm not letting my plans slip this easily.

I hold my hand out, signing for her to give the phone to me. Jessa shakes her head frantically. I insist, waving my hand more intensely. Sighing, she tries to whack my arm away with her free hand.

Stop it, she mouths at me, still listening to whatever is being said on the other line.

"Let me talk to him," I whisper, earning a glare from her.

"Okay fine, dad. But listen, please? " A long silence follows. She just looks at me, and then she holds the phone towards me.

I put it against my ear.

"–worried about you. Yesenia, you're all I have left. I've not always been there to protect you, but this time around, I will."

My eyes lock with hers, and I see what he means. She doesn't deserve any of the pain she's been through.

"I understand you're–"

A moment silence.

"Michael, give Yesenia the phone."

"I want her to be happy. I know you do as well. All I want is to treat her to dinner," I say, "Ashton and the others will be there, as well. And she'll be home before midnight. I promise."

"Put my daughter back on the phone."

I sigh, giving Jessa the phone. At least I tried.

Somehow, though, she manages to convince him. "He said yes. Let's go."

"Alright, I'm gonna be responsible for once. I can't lie to your dad, so we'll have to do takeaway and movie night at mine some other time. We're going to get food with everyone else."

"Okay, chivalrous Clifford."

I'm glad she agrees. I poke the balloon, laughing at how cute she is with it just floating above her.

Dinner goes by way too quickly. When dessert arrives, I lean over to her.

"You do realise I'll make everyone sing you happy birthday, right? In harmonies."

"Don't," she says. "If you do, I'll have to get rid of you. That's, like, an evil thing to do."

"Am I allowed to whisper the lyrics seductively I to your ear, though?"

"That's creepy."

I laugh quietly. "Alright, no public humiliation. I swear."

"Good."

"You know I wouldn't do that to you, right? I'm only joking. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable."

Or sad or lonely or upset.

But I guess there's a risk she'll feel all those things once she finds out we're going away on tour. How the fuck am I supposed to tell her that I'll be leaving her?

It's selfish, but I don't know if I'll be alright without her. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I really hope I'll miss her more than she'll miss me.

"Earth to Michael."

"Huh?"

"We're leaving," she says.

I look around, realising I've lost myself thinking too much. "I don't want to," I say, and the lump in my throat grows.

"Well you've promised to take me home."

"Then I guess we have to." I force a smile. "Got both shoes, princess?"

She just pushes me in the arm. "I might have lost one in the mosh pit."

"Pretend it doesn't fit when the dickhead comes knocking for you."

"So you're not the prince, then?"

"Nope," I say, shaking my head. "I'm really not."

"Good. I'm not into fairytales, anyway."

-
have a nice Friday night

don't do anything mikey wouldn't do xx

~lauren