The Best School Day Ever?!

Hello! My name's Hikari Aozora.  I'm 15 years old and I am about to experience the best day of my life. Today is my first day of high school!  More specifically, it's my first time attending a public school since I've been homeschooled ever since 1st grade. I am so excited that I almost forget to put some clothes on before running down the stairs.  Hurriedly, I gather all my best clothes and put them on. The last couple days, I have spent hours studying fashion magazines to pick up on the latest trends of kids my age.  I do have to say, it's exhausting, but I want to fit in and not be branded "the new kid" by everyone.  I've read in so many books how someone goes to a new school and then is bullied because the students think the kid is weird-looking or whatever.  But that is not going to happen to me! 

I pull on a red sequined shirt and slip on some blue jeans.  Over those I pull on a long yellow skirt that flows when I walk.  On my wrists I load on all my coolest bracelets and clip my prettiest necklaces on.  For my hair, I pull it up into high pigtails that make me look like a character from the animes I love to watch.  I sit down at the mirror and look at all my makeup I bought the other day.  I'm a little nervous because I have never used makeup before.  Hesitantly, I wipe foundation over my face and apply some blush.  The eyeliner smears a little but I cover that up with the blue sparkling eyeshadow.  I paint my lips a bright red and set down my utensils.  Opening a magazine, I consult one of the images of a cool looking teenage girl.  I look in the mirror and back again to the picture.  Yep!  I'm ready!

I look at the clock.  7:32.  Oh no!  Gotta go.  I leap down the stairs and tear into the dining room where my mom and dad are just sitting down to eat.  They jump a little at my entrance and my mom drops the cup she was holding.  But I have no time to judge their reactions. I have to get to school!  It starts at 7:45 and I have to walk there!  I grab a bagle from the cupboard and start towards the door.

"Wait honey! Turn around and let me look at you." My mom says to me.  I cringe.  I don't have time for one of her speeches.  But I turn around and look at her.  Both her and my dad pass their eyes over my outfit.  A range of emotions cross their face.  Surprise. Humor. Anger. Then finally they look sorry for me.  "Oh Hikari.  What are you wearing?" My mom suddenly laughs.  "Come on now. Will you please take off all that jewerly and that skirt.  None of it matches silly!" She reaches out to my hand.  Anger boils within me. How dare she judge my outfit! She doesn't know anything.  She hasn't been the one studying night and day on the fashion of teenage girls!  Uggh! I flinch away from her.

"Mommy stop it.  I'm not going to let you ruin my outfit.  It's fine as it is!  It's perfect!  You don't know what you're talking about! Now if you'd please excuse me, I need to go to school."  My mom's face turns dark as I back out of the doorway.

"HIKARI! Come back here this instant!" I hear her yell but I'm already running down the road.  Tears form in my eyes but I instantly rub them away. I will not cry! This day is going to be fun!  It will be.

_____

Mrs. Aozora stands stiffly in the doorway watching her only daughter run down the street and out of sight.  "Honey, let her go.  She's just going to have to learn these things her own way, even if it's the harder way." Mr. Aozawa chuckles. "She's already 15.  She can take care of herself."  Mrs. Aozora sighs.

"I know.  But still, I can't help but worry about what will happen to her.  What if...what if she gets hurt or something?"  She sighs and plops down next to her husband. 

"She'll be fine. Don't you worry." Mr. Aozora reassures her.  They continue to eat their breakfast slowly, each lost in their own thoughts.

______

As I round the corner, I slow down to a steady walk and shift my backpack uncomfortably.  All the books inside amount to quite a heavy weight.  Up ahead, I see three girls walking the same direction as I. Maybe they are going to Maple Woods High also!!  Excited, I run up behind them.  "Hey! Are you guys going to Maple Woods?!  I am too! Can I walk with you! My name's Hikari!" I smile really wide and walk beside them.  They look at me and for some reason they laugh.  I guess I missed the joke. One of them, the taller one, speaks to me.