Chapter 10: The Dragon's Coming

Bilbo POV

I reach into my pocket and pull out the Ring. I look at it, then look up at Smaug. I put the Ring on, Smaug raises his head and sniffs the air.

"Well, thief, I smell you. I hear your breath. I feel your air. Where are you?" Smaug says.

He moves his head back and forth around where I am. I have to duck down to avoid being knocked over.

I am starting to panic and run down the mountain of treasure. Even though I am invisible, Smaug can tell where I am going because of the coins I am dislodging with my feet while running. I hide behind a stone.

"Come now, don't be shy. Step into the light. Mmm, there is something about you, something you carry. Something made of gold, but far more...PRECIOUSSSSS." Smaug hisses to me and I start to feel dizzy. A flaming eye bursts into my vision, and I yank the Ring off, feeling confused and scared. "There you are, thief in the shadows."

"I did not come to steal from you, O Smaug the Unassessably Wealthy. I merely wanted to gaze upon your magnificence, to see if you really were as great as the old tales say. I did not believe them." I say, terrified.

Smaug walks a little away so his entire body is now visible to me. He is a massive dragon with two back legs, two massive, bat-like wings with claws, and both his neck and tail are incredibly long. His head alone is huge.

"And, do you you now?!" Smaug questions.

I reply, "Truly, the tales and songs fall utterly short of your enormity, O Smaug the Stupendous."

"Do you think flattery will keep you alive?" He asks.

"No- no, no." I stutter.

"No, indeed. You seem familiar with my name, but I don't remember smelling your kind before. Who are you, and where do you come from, may I ask?"

Smaug moves his head closer to me. I open my mouth to speak but then I see something off to the side. It is the Arkenstone. A white gem glowing with an unnatural light, buried under one layer of coins.

"I- I come from under the hill."

"Underhill?"

I nod, and sneak a peek at the Arkenstone. It is not too far away from me.

"And under hills and over hills my path has led. And, and, through the air. I am he who walks unseen."

"Impressive. What else do you claim to be?" Smaug asks as he moves his head very close to my face.

I can see his teeth and he exhales. I grimace at his breath, whipping my hand back and forth in front of my face.

"I am...luck-wearer. Riddle-maker." I continue.

"Lovely titles. Go on."

"Barrel-rider."

This catches his attention. "Barrels? Now that is interesting. And what about your little Dwarf friends? Where are they hiding?"

"Dw- Dwarves? No, no, no dwarves here. You've got that all wrong." I tell him, pretending I don't know what he's talking about.

"Oh, I don't think so, Barrel-rider. They sent you in here to do their dirty work while they skulk about outside."

"Truly, you are mistaken, O Smaug, Chiefest and Greatest of calamities." I say.

"You have nice manners...for a thief and a liar! I know the smell and taste of Dwarf. No one better. It is the gold! They are drawn to treasure like flies to dead flesh."