27 || falling into place ||

Start from the beginning

Since it was rather warm outside, I decided to ditch my blouse and convert into a purple tank top. Then, after throwing my hair into a sloppy bun, I slipped into my flats and descended the stairs.

My mother was waiting for me at the doorstep, along with a rather recalcitrant Nina, who stared at me through narrowed eyes. Notwithstanding, she clung onto my hand on our way to my mother's car, and only let go when I buckled her up in her seat.

Slithering into the passenger seat, I emitted a galled sigh as I indignantly gazed out the front window. In all honesty, I had no time or energy to go, especially since I had an exam on Monday. Oh, well. I suppose I'll just have to use Sunday wisely, mainly because it was Friday today.

We had an exam today, and I'd say I did a pretty good job if I do say so myself. The same can go for Jade and Kaedon too, who were both sporting grins on their way out.

School was officially ending, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about that. With graduation around the corner, I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

My mother's car slowed to a stop in front of a boutique and she motioned for me to exit the car. I did as told, but not before emitting a sigh of pure annoyance.

Lacing my fingers through Nina's, I logged into the boutique behind my mother and allowed my eyes to roam around the store. A few women, along with teenage girls, were strolling around the store with dresses thrown across their arms and pairs of shoes in their hands.

Averting my gaze, I accompanied my mother throughout the store and loitered beside her as she thumbed through a rack of dresses. "What colour are we getting again?" I wrinkled my nose.

"Azul," she responded absentmindedly, lifting a blue dress up. "This?"

I took one look at it and scrunched up my nose. "Ew."

And thus, my mother and I were interminably bogged down in endless arguments due to our differences in style. Each time I'd pick a dress out and try it out in one of the changing rooms, she'd make a comment about how it rendered me skinner than I actually was, and how she wanted to pick a dress that emphasised my 'curves'.

At long last, after two hours of searching, I eventually located a blue dress situated at the back of the store. I appraised it with narrowed eyes and then lifted it into the air, capturing my mother's attention. "This?"

My mother's face bespoke a look of thoughtfulness as she narrowed her hazel eyes and skimmed the dress. Then, after a moment worth of consideration, she nodded her assent and rummaged through her purse.

A wholly blithe grin played at the nook of my lips as I threw the dress over my arm and set off in the direction of the shoe section. I picked out a pair of white heels, before heading toward the front counter. While in the process of zipping up the bag, I observed as my mother slapped a handful of money onto the counter and slung her handbag over her shoulder.

And so, with my dress and shoes in hand, I bounded out the front entrance and worked my way toward my mother's car with Nina trailing behind the both of us. As I slithered into the passenger seat, I found myself asking, "What's her husbands name?"

"Soon-to-be husband," my mother corrected. "El nombre de el Stewart."

I nodded in acknowledgement and then remained silent for the entirety of the ride. As soon as we reached our home, I hauled my bags out of the car and skipped up the front steps.