Chapter 22

The Duke of Coimbra

It is late afternoon as Jorge, the Duke of Coimbra, spends his time alone at Castelo de Guimaraes, his residence in Portugal. The Duke is silently sitting at the terrace reminiscing his childhood. As he stare at the castle garden, images begin to appear from his memory. Jorge remember the times when his beloved brother taught him how to use the sword, how to hunt, and how to use the bow and arrow. They were inseparable since childhood. They share common interests, beliefs, and ambitions. They dreamed that someday, Portugal will accept them as part of the royal family and recognize that they too, have the right to become king, like their legitimate younger brother, Prince Sebastian. Tears begin to fall on Jorge's cheeks when he recalled the day that he received a letter stating that his brother was slain with no mercy! He was completely devastated! He felt like the whole world turned against him! After grieving alone for months he went to see the newly crowned King Sebastian and demanded to know why he was killed and who are held responsible for it. Sebastian's only explanation was that he died fighting for Portugal's honor. Jorge was not satisfied so he went ahead and conducted his own inquiry. Before long he discovered that the perpetrators are none other than the young princes of France. Consumed by grief and immense anger, the duke immediately enlisted Ironhead's help to secretly follow the two French prince. Francis and Bash's activities have been tailed for about a year, allowing Jorge to know more about them. Ironhead confirmed that the princes are both enamored by the same woman, Mary, the queen of Scotland. This crucial information instigated the events that followed. Jorge then concocted a devious plan to avenge his brother. He firmly believed that he will inflict the worst pain by taking away the person who mattered to Francis and Bash the most. He ordered Ironhead to send his most trusted mercenaries to Scotland to abduct Mary. It was that night when Mary and Francis had a heated argument that they implemented their plot; that same night when Francis ended his relationship with Mary. After he wipes off his tears, Jorge grabs a mini portrait of Prince Tomas from his jacket pocket and he exclaimed, "Soon brother, I will fulfill my promise to you! You will be avenged! Your murderers will extremely suffer before they join you in the afterlife!"

                                                                                  A Prince's Sacrifice

It is near dawn when Mary feels a gentle touch on her cheek. She immediately woke up and sees the French prince gesturing her to be silent. "Francis, my love." She whispered happily as they both give each other a hug. "How did you manage to escape?" She asked. "Prince Carlos freed me. Come, we must get you out of this place. Carlos is currently distracting the guards by drinking wine with them at the kitchen. We must go now while we still have the chance." He whispered. Mary immediately dresses up while Francis gently tap the walls. "What are you doing?" Asks Mary. Before long the prince manage to locate a secret door! Francis immediately pushed the door and behind it is a secret passage, their way out without being caught! Mary gives Francis a questioning look. "Rocca di Borgia Castle is well known for its secret doors. It allowed its former owner, Cesare Borgia, to successfully elude his assasins." Says Francis. "As soon as Carlos told me where we are, I know that all rooms are connected into a passageway." He adds. "Do you know where this walkway will lead us?" She asks. The French Prince smiled and replied, "We will end up in the nearby forest, at least that is what I've learned from my previous readings about this castle." Mary took a lantern to light up their way as they enter the secret passage, with Francis slowly closing the secret door behind him.