Chapter 8

A conversation

"So tell me Carlos, how does it feel to be the Prince of Spain?" Asks Mary as they are both lying on the floor, gazing at the stars in the night sky through the window, the only view that they have. Carlos turned to her and replied, "My father is a very powerful man. Like any other king he expects me to follow his footsteps, to be just like him or even better." Mary smiled. "Well, King Philip surely is proud to have you as his son. You remain grounded despite of all your wealth and privileges. I am pretty much aware that you are the future ruler of an Empire, not a country." Carlos laughed. "Mary, if it is up to me I would rather prefer to run away and to live a simple life in an unknown island with the woman that I will love until the rest of my days." Mary became silent. She remembered saying almost the same thing to Francis. "Is there something that I said that offended Her Majesty?" He asked. "No, not at all... Just memories." She replied in a sad tone. The prince gave her a worried look. "He is such a fool to let you go." Mary turned to him. "What? What did you say?" She asked. "The man who caused you so much pain, he is a fool to let go of someone as precious as you." Mary took a deep breath. "He is my first kiss, my first dance, and my first love. It wasn't entirely his fault. I did some things that made him hate me." Tears started to fall down her cheeks. "He ended our relationship the night that I was abducted." She added. Upon seeing Mary cry, Carlos used his hands to wipe her tears and tried to console her. "Hush, hush, Mary. It is painful now, but believe me when I say it shall pass. You will move on and find a man who will truly love and appreciate you. I believe that there is someone for everyone, we are all created to find our own happiness as we live." "Why is it that you are so knowledgeable about these things?" Mary asked. He smiled and replied, "I do not mean to be boastful but I got myself involve with a lot of women hoping that one of them is she... She whom I would like to be stuck with in an unknown island." "You mean, you've been intimate with them or some sort?" She curiously asks. The prince just nodded. The Scottish Queen cannot help but show her disappointment... All the while she thought that Carlos is an angel. The Spanish prince seeing her dismayed, held her hand and said, "Mary, I was not happy nor proud of hurting someone, especially when they have given me a special part of them. Sadly, I cannot stay committed for too long... perhaps because I know deep inside that they were not the one and that to stay with them will only cause more pain and agony. You know that as royalties, we are engaged for alliances. My father and Spain expect that from me. But I vowed to myself that I will only wed the one that I truly love." Mary gave him a curious look. "Carlos, how is that possible? How would you know that you are with the right person? That it is not a mistake?" He took a deep breath, looked Mary in the eye and replied, "All I know is once I find her, I will never let her go."

                                                                               The Only Way In

It is early morning when Bash decides to have a private audience with King Philip. He found the Spanish King in the garden painting a portrait. "Good morning, Your Majesty. May I interrupt?" Asks Bash. "Of course, what is it about?" Philip replied as he continuous to paint without looking at Bash. "Is he your son?" He asked. "Yes. His name is Carlos, my only son." The king sadly answered. Without hesitation Bash says , "Majesty, I would like to know how to become a member of The Order." Upon hearing this the king stops painting and turns to Bash. "Young prince, you and my son are of the same age. I will not allow you to engage into something that will put you in danger! No father would wish his son to be in harm's way!" The king started to walk away, but Bash remained persistent regarding his query to the extent of following him. "Philip, I am asking you as a friend. How did you become a member? I beg you to tell me, it might be the only way for us to retrieve Mary and your son." He said pleadingly. Philip looked him straight in the eye. "Bash, the only way in to The Order is to relinquish your identity and to forget everybody that you love. You will be dead to the world! No one must know where you are or who you are with. Ones they welcome you, there is no turning back." "But you were able to get out." Says Bash. "I survived because my father paid the ultimate price... Not only did he gave them titles, ransom, and territories... He gave himself up to be held captive for the remainder of his days in exchange for my freedom!" The Spanish King replied with a trembling voice. "Are you prepared to sacrifice everything, including your loved ones?! When they feel that they've been dishonored, The Order will not be satisfied by taking your life away... They will hurt the ones that you love the most, like what they did to my father and now my son." He added.