[ C h a p t e r - T w e l v e ]

Start from the beginning

“When are you guys leaving?” I asked her as I started driving. I know it’s bad to drive and talk on the phone but these streets are dead at this time, anyway.

“After midnight, something special is going on at midnight that the club refuses to tell us. What about you?” She asked.

“At eleven, most likely, because I need to be home by twelve,” I told her. She made a sound of understanding. “Maybe I’ll ask my mom to let me stay until 12:30,” I told her and she started telling me that I should. I told her that I’d call her back.

I dialed my mom’s number and she answered immediately. “Hello?”

“Mom, can I stay a bit later?” I asked her.

“Why?” she asked.

“Well, turns out that I have a friend there and she told me that they’re having a special event at 12 and in order to be there for the event, I’ll have to get a home a bit later,” I replied. She thought for a moment.

“You have to call me before you leave," she demanded and I confirmed before telling her that I love her and hanging up.

~~~

I don’t understand why they are having this thing on the 24th of December. Then again, they can’t have it on the 23rd because that’s Winter Wonderland. They can’t have it on the 22nd because that’s the day before Winter Wonderland and nobody would stay out that late; parents wouldn’t let their kids stay out that late on a school night, anyway.

I continued driving, listening to music and singing along. Once I got to the more city-like area, I realized that it was a bit livelier. I smiled slightly at the sign of other life. After a while, driving in a secluded part of town was creepy, especially when you’re alone in the car.

Once I reached the minor's club, I parked my car across the street. The parking lot was already filled and I walked towards the entrance. Thankfully, the line wasn’t all that long and I began digging around in my purse, locating my wallet.

The bouncer started letting people in and once I got to the front, he smiled at me. He didn’t look much older than me; maybe he was around Jer’s age. “Hello.”

“Hi,” I smiled at him, awkwardly shifting from foot to foot. “How much is the entrance fee?”

“It’s free, babe, it’s Christmas Eve,” he smiled and I nodded as he opened the small gate. “Can I get your number on the way out?”

I smiled at him before shrugging. I laughed and entered the club. That was a bit weird. I rarely get flirted with…ever. The last time a guy flirted with me, and actually meant it, I poured soda on his potato salad…accidentally, of course. But that was in the 6th grade. Jonah doesn't count.

I felt someone’s hand on my arm and I looked to see Sierra smiling at me. She had her hair up in a ponytail but it was straightened. She had the small bump in the front of it, giving it volume. She was wearing jeans and a button down shirt. She looked pretty. “Hey.”

“How are you?” she asked, eyes lighting up as she glanced over the crowd.

I shrugged. “I was just flirted with by the bouncer,” I smiled while wriggling my eyebrows.

“He’s cute! Did he ask for your number?” she asked me and I nodded. “Did you give it to him?”

“No, he asked me to give it to him when I left,” I shrugged and she smirked.

“I got a boy’s phone number, too!” she smiled as she held up her phone happily.

My mouth opened slightly and a squeal escaped. “How old is he? What’s his name?”