He gave her a charming smile. "I was about to head back. Have you eaten?"

"Not yet." She put on her flip-flops. The sand was hot. "I'm going to eat in my room."

"You're the one who's crazy. They have the best breakfast buffet here." They climbed the steps of the boardwalk. "Looks like you went for a swim, too."

"Not a crazy, cliff diving swim, but yes. Laps in the glass-bottom pool."

"Yeah. Nothing like it in the whole world."

"It's amazing. I saw a moray eel grabbing its breakfast."

"You sound happier today. Are you still planning on leaving?"

"Maybe. I don't know." Seeing Stan and having a normal conversation with him made her question her decision to leave. She waited for him to comment, and when he didn't, she asked, "Are you going kayaking this afternoon?"

"I want to, but I need to get a couple of days' work in. I've got to get this paper done before the summer ends, and I can't write the paper if I don't study the archaeological sites and ruins more thoroughly."

"Too bad."

"I was going to put it off, but we're supposed to be getting bad weather tomorrow evening, so I better do it today. You should come with me sometime. They're amazing."

"Do they have tours?" She recalled a family trip to Mesa Verde in western Colorado when she was seven. Kara was five and still alive and Joey had not yet started listening to the voices.

"Not yet. Someday they will, but now it's all still primitive on that side of the island."

They made their descent down the wooden steps, the wind railing against them. Daphne asked, "So did you have any visitors last night?"

He bent his brows. "Visitors?"

"Ghosts."

"You were visited by ghosts last night? What a night you had."

"Not real ghosts. I don't believe in real ghosts."

"Thank God. For a moment you had me worried."

She quickly skipped down the remaining steps, and he followed behind her.

"So what kind of ghosts were they then?" he asked.

"People in costume, I guess. They didn't come to your door last night?"

"Not that I'm aware of. I didn't hear anyone."

They passed the pool and reached his unit. "This is me. Want to come in while I change?"

"No, I'm going to eat in my room."

"Goodbye, then."

She left Stan's unit to return to her own.

While in the shower, she decided to stay and carry out her original plan. She might not have another chance like this for a very long time.

Have you ever considered the possibility that there might not be a heaven? The voice inside her head asked.

Yes. In fact, I have.

She found muffins and fruit and juice in the kitchenette and brewed a mug of coffee and was finishing up when Cam rang at the door. She opened it.

"I missed you last night," she said, keeping her distance, unsure whether she wanted him to know how hurt and angry she was.

"I had a late night with Dr. Gray. Sorry."