Road trips and Flashbacks

"Bye honey." My mum said, hugging me.

"Bye mum, I'll text you when I get there." I said, hugging her back. I let go and hear a car hoot.

"Finns here, I have to go now." I said, grabbing my bags.

"Be safe, study hard and I love you!" She said, wiping away a tear.

I was sad but happy as I walked over to Finns car. I didn't shed a tear, which was weird under the circumstances.

I waved back to my mum ad she waved back. I got in and Finn turned to me.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yup." I said, sighing.

As Finn drove, I looked backs me saw my mum still waving. I watched until she was just a faint dot in the distance.

•Later•

"This is it Ava." Finn says.

"Yep, it really is." I said.

Right now, were taking a little road trip to University. Both Finn and I are attending the University of Leeds and are both studying graphic design.

Although, I'm also studying film.

I've wanted to be able to edit and make short movies. When I was little, I would make up little movies and record them. Since then, I've had a passion to become a short film director.

Anyway, we are currently halfway to Leeds and are becoming very anxious already. We're also very bored and hungry. Well, I am. I'm not sure about Finn.

"I'm hungry!" I tell him.

"Well, maybe we can go to a resturant nearby." He said.

"Yay!" I exclaimed. I get very excited when it comes to food.

This is why Finn is my best friend. How did we become friends? It all started with his brother.

•Flashback•

I was in primary school, year 3. I was busy drawing a picture for an art assignment. As I was drawing, I heard someone scissors cutting. It sounded oddly close, but I didn't think much of it.

Then, I saw some hair in my shoulder. I pick it off my shoulder and looked at it. It looked like my hair.

I touch the back of my had and feel that half of my hair is gone.

I turn around and see the kid behind me holding a pair of scissors and a fistful of my hair.

I started to cry and the boy just laughed at me. The teacher noticed and called us both to the office.

The headmaster told him to say sorry and he will get out of suspension. That was complete and utter bullshit. I bet his parents paid him.

Ever since then, he teased me and bullied me. He didn't bully me physically, but he just pulled a bunch of pranks on me.

The name of this kid was Jack Harries.

Then one faithful day, I met my best friend that happens to be related to my enemy. Ironic? I think so.

I met Finn in primary school a couple of days after Jack cut my hair. I was sitting on the swings by myself. I had my hair in a ponytail to make it not look as if I had half my hair. As I watched the other kids run and play, I see a kid walk up to me. At first, I thought it was Jack.

At that time, I didn't know that Jack had a twin. So I kind of freaked out when I saw a boy who looked like Jack walk up to me. My first instinct was to just kick him, but my body wouldn't let me. So I just sat there, watching him walk towards me.

As he came closer, I noticed he had a calmness and kindness glow to him. The type where you would instantly know that you could trust him. Which was the exact opposite of Jack.

"Hi, my name's Finn. Finn Harries." He said, holding out his hand.

I hesitate a bit before I shook his hand, scared that he might pull me and make me fall off the swing and face plant onto the wood chips.

"You don't talk much do you?" He asks.

I shake my head no, still not trusting him.

"Well, you can talk to me." He said, sitting on the swing next to me.

We kind of just say there in silence, waiting for someone to start talking I decided to break the ice.

"Why are you here?" I ask, looking at my beat up trainers.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"Why are you talking to me? Don't you have friends to go hang out with?" I ask.

"I have friends, I just don't want to talk to them. I want to talk to you." he said.

"But why me of all people? Why be around someone who no one hangs out with? Besides, shouldn't you be with your brother, Jack?" I ask, looking at him.

"Because you seem cool and my brothers a jerk." He says, simply.

"How? You don't even know me?" I say.

"Well, then tell me about yourself. I want to know more about you." he says.

And that's how our friendship started. Since then, we've been through a lot. He's been there for me whenever I needed him and me the same. But mostly me needing him. I'm the one who always gets made fun of.

I remember how people would make fun of us. They would ask questions like why Finn would hang only with me and not his brother or the popular crowd? What did he see in me? I'm just a nobody.

But, every time I ask, its because he said that he just saw something in me. That I was different from everybody else.

I never believed it; Hell, I still don't believe it. As the years went by though, I started to grow more attached to Finn. Like he was my big brother.

Although, he couldn't always protect me from Jack. I just had to deal with it and not give a fuck. Which helps a lot actually.

•End of Really Long Flashback•

Even though I've left secondary school and I'll probably occasionally see Jack, I'm still mad at him. He humiliated me throughout my life and one day, I want to pay him back.

"Ava? Ava!" Finn yells, shaking my shoulder.

"Sorry, what?" I said.

"I said were at Macdonalds." He said.

"Oh ok. Yay!" I said, exiting the car.

We went inside and ordered our food. We decided to get takeout so that we could get to Leeds early and just hang out. When our food was ready, we took it and went back to the car.

"Thank you so much! Next time, I'm paying though." I said.

"Don't be silly." Finn said.

"C'mon! Whenever we go out you always pay for the food." I say.

"And it will stay that way because I'm a true English man." He said, with a posh accent.

"Sure." I said.

Finn chuckled and started the car. Then, we were on the road again.

__________________________________