Chapter 63

Tuesday, September 25th, was a long day for Julie and Joe in Key West. The pleasures of the night couldn't dispel the daytime gloom at Twelve Gulf Wind Drive. David was inconsolable. The probability of losing Rolly after losing Marc was a one-two punch to his heart. The sun was setting and David had begun crying, once again retreating to his bedroom.

At last report, Tropical storm Carlo was making landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula. Florida had been spared, but dark clouds moved over the Keys and continued to whip up the warm waters of the Gulf.

Julie and Joe stood at the window, watching the yacht across the canal in fascination.

"Good God!" said Julie, shivering as she watched the violent water tossing the big yacht like a toy. "It looks like it might break loose!"

"I don't think it will break the lines, but it's going to be banged up pretty bad before this is over, even with all the tires along the dock," said Joe. "I'll tell you one thing, Merlin. If Rolly Archer is out there in a small boat, he isn't coming back."

"I've been thinking about that. I think Susan knows more than she's saying about Rolly" said Julie. "The Sandpiper was closed today; I called earlier and got voicemail. She's probably at home working on the paintings. I think I'll go over there, Joe...talk to her a little more...see what else I can find out."

She grabbed the keys to the VW off the bar.

"Want me to come with you?"

"No...please stay with David," she said. "He'll be out again soon, and he needs company. I won't be long."

* * * * *