Chapter 24

Instinctively, Julie slammed on the emergency brake and pushed the automatic gearshift to Park. She yanked the steering wheel hard to the left and held it there. In a matter of seconds, the car had reached the two lane road and done a one-eighty to the left before slamming to a stop, rear-end facing the river.

In shock and trying to catch her breath, Julie closed her eyes and dropped her head on her arms, slumped over the steering wheel. Mere moments later, she lifted her head and looked out her window.

There was a car heading right for her.

Shit, shit, SHIT!

She saw the driver's panicked face and heard the squeal of his brakes. She closed her eyes tight, bracing and holding her breath, expecting the broadside impact...

It didn't happen! The man had stopped the car a few inches from her door! The older driver was looking at her, agape, relief written all over his face. Julie exhaled like the governor just called off her execution.

Thank you, God! Thank you!

She heard another screech as a second hapless motorist just missed hitting the old man. Unable to open the driver's side door, she slid to the right and jumped out of the Malibu.

Joan Soldano had watched the accident in horror, running down the hill after the runaway car. Now, she darted across the road. "Ohmigod, ohmigod! Julie! Are you all right?!"

"I'm okay! The brakes are gone!"

The white-haired, bespectacled old man that had almost T-boned Julie had gotten out of his car. "Are you okay, Miss?"

"Yes, thank God. Are you?"

"Yes, I'm just glad I was able to stop!"

The back end of Julie's car had knocked down a section of the low stone wall edging the river bank and smacked into a tree directly behind it. The rear end was caved in and two tires were blown.

Julie saw a police car, weaving through the traffic, heading in her direction. She realized then that she had to get the Malibu off the narrow road as quickly as possible. The car was only partially blocking the northbound lane and people were slowing down and going around it. But behind the older man's car, the traffic was stacking up. She dug out her cell phone and her rental contract and called Hertz.

Once the report was made and the car towed away, Julie followed Joan back up Drake Hill to the house. The plan was for Joan to drive her to the local Hertz office for a replacement. Pausing by the front walk to rest from tugging her carry-on up the hill, she happened to glance down at the small bag. The wheels had left two short, dark stripes on the pavement leading to a tiny iridescent pool.

A puddle of brake fluid.

* * * * *