They Found Out

"They found out!"
"What? What are you on about?"
"Someone must have found out about us meeting here! I don't know like a sentry or something."
"Slow down Fi, it's alright just tell me what's happened." I tried reasoning with her.
"Lui they've found out about us and our... doorway." She looked back up at me in despair, "what are we going to do...?"
What we called our doorway was a small crack in the wall, the wall that separates my best friend Fi and I, the wall that separates the two worlds that we live in, that are so close together and yet so far away, the wall that separates the Gaia's from the Blighter's. The crack was only big enough for Fi to slither through. Our little meeting spot was shielded by two big old oak trees, their twisted branches scraped against each other and the wall in the whistling cool wind of the old cemetery. Our whereabouts was usually sheltered by the night, but somehow we must have been found out.
"Lui!" Fi whispered urgently, "this isn't the time to be daydreaming!"
"Um, yea, sorry Fi, but why are you so stressed..... You could just run away with me...."
"Lui this isn't the time to be joking around, dad's reputation is on the line!"
"What if... I wasn't joking" I said very seriously.
"You know I can't! I wouldn't be able to leave mum and dad..."she started to sob and her blond ringlets fell on her face. "I don't think we will be able to meet out here again..."
I hug her tightly and then when she did break away she rubbed her eyes, her mascara was smudging and her lip gloss was faded.
Funny how the Gaia's had all the luxuries of before, make up, foods from all different cultures and the safety of a working government. She hugged me once more and then slid through the small crack. As she disappeared into the darkness of the wall I stood there distressed as to what had happened.
I pick up the big sheet of corrugated iron and placed it over our crack like so many other times before, but now it felt more permanent. I turn back towards the old cemetery and walk through the graves, I always thought that these resting dead were so lucky that they didn't have to experience this hell hole of a world. They rested peacefully in there eternal slumber with no knowledge of the heart ache, the pain, the hunger the sleepless nights. I pushed my feet through the long tangled grass, my boots were worn, faded and a couple sizes too small. They were my old army cadet's boots but the soles were thin and the laces had been broken and re-tied several times too many. As I walk in the shadows of the empty streets I think about how no one ever thought that the world would come to this. Everyone just kept on thinking of themselves and their own little problems. When food at the shop became poorer and poorer quality people didn't mind that much, they just went to all the take away spots. No one bothered about the farmers who were getting failing crops each year. People only started to care when it effected them. Raising electricity bills and petrol prices. When I was ten, they started building the wall, but they never gave anyone a clear run down of what they were building. Fi and I would play against the walls. That's when we first found our little doorway, we never told anyone because we weren't supposed to be playing near there anyway.
I remember late one night I got a text from fi saying that something was going on and that her family as well as some of her dad's friends all had to move into the wall. At first I read it with much confusion. Then I had a really bad feeling that something terrible was about to happen. The next day my whole world was flipped upside down. The power was out and not coming back on. When I went to Fi's house it was like an empty shell. Their beautiful big house wasn't even locked, from there furniture to there food every thing was gone. I remember running up the staircase panicking, flinging Fi's door open to find an empty room with a note lodged in her window seal. I unfolded it hurriedly, smoothening out the sharp creases with the tips of my fingers.
'dad says that something bad is happening, I'm sorry I couldn't say good bye to you in person, but we've moved inside the wall, turns out its actually like a small city, they call it 'Gaia' or something, something about meaning mother nature and being born from chaos or whatever. But dad says to get all the food in your house and hide it, lock your windows and doors. In a week come to our little hide out, you know the one against the part of the wall with the crack. Gonna miss you so much but stay strong.'