Chapter Twenty Two: Seeing Veronica

Start from the beginning

"I'll buy you StarBucks." This girl can't get enough of her StarBucks.

"Really!? I was going to do it anyway but thanks." She exclaimed, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "You have to stay there with me until 7pm! I have a lot of homework to do." I reminded her as we walked out of the front door of my house. "Okay." She let out an exasperated sigh. We then walked to my car and drove out of the drive way and to the Library.

"So what's up with you?" She asked turning on a Maher Zain song.

"Nothing much I just really want this school year to be over already." I responded vaguely. I can't wait till next year so I could finally be a senior. I also have a lot of colleges to apply to before this school year ends. It's like reality is just now settling in for me. After I graduate I'm officially an adult and I'm going to have to go into the real world. It a all seems so hard to believe.

"Me too and I've only been back here for a month," She agreed as she hummed to Mawlaya. We talked for a while until I pulled into the StarBuck's drive thru. I got my usual which was a large Caramel Cappuccino while Aliyah ordered a grande Vanilla Bean. I don't know why she ordered a small drink because I kept on insisting that she get a large one so that she could feel energized later. Anyways, I really needed this drink to help me get through the pile of homework I have to finish.

"So do you like Adam or what?" She suddenly asked, drinking her Vanilla Bean. Why does everyone keep asking me that!? "Oh my Allah for the last time, I don't like him."I exclaimed, starting to feel slightly annoyed. I admit that I like that he's starting to change but that doesn't mean I have feelings for him. If anything I'm starting to think of him as a friend. Actually even that is weird, being friends with Adam Mathews.

At the beginning of the year I couldn't stand him because of how we met. I mean from the beginning he was always a player and he went through girls as if they were objects that if he started to get bored he could just throw them away and get another one. But now he's changing even if he doesn't want to admit it to himself. I can't take the credit for that though. I'm sure hanging out with Isa and Amir helped him become the person he's becoming now.

"Okay but I think he likes you."

I almost choked on my drink the moment I heard those words come out of her mouth. "You're crazy," I replied, turning into the library. Adam likes me? Ya right! He has hundreds of girls drooling the moment he walks by them in the halls. Just the mere idea of him liking me of all people is ridiculous.

After I parked the car we both proceeded to walk towards the front entrance. I made sure I locked the car by pressing one of the many buttons on my key before we headed inside."Think of it Zam. It's reasonable why he would like you! I mean you're smart, funny, pretty and you come up with killer comebacks! Why wouldn't he!?" Aliyah grabbed my arm and made me turn to her.

"Thanks but there are a thousand other reasons why he wouldn't. One of the biggest would be that I'm Muslim and he's not. Also why are we even talking about this? I don't like him." I couldn't get any clearer than that. Before she could reply we were interrupted by a lady who was standing in front of us wearing all black.

"Zamzam Amin?" She asked as she turned to me. I nodded slowly at her in response. I don't know why but I have bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Can I talk to you in private?"

Aliyah looked reluctantly to leave me alone with this total stranger which made total sense. But something tells me that she isn't a bad person and plus even if she were, we're in a library filled with people so what could this person do to me? I looked at Aliyah and I gestured for her to go set our stuff on a table. After a couple of seconds she nodded her head and left us. The lady started to walk outside so I followed her.

"I know this will sound crazy but you're in danger."

I'm in what?

"I'm Veronica Mathews, Adam's mom. I need you to trust me sweetie when I say that you're in danger and you're being watched. My ex husband has had men spying on you for days now." Veronica said as she put shades on her face, I'm guessing so no one could recognize her. At that moment I didn't know what to say. Why would Adam's dad have people watching me? How did things get this crazy!? Seeing Veronica standing in front of me instead of standing in front of Adam made me mad. He's been missing her for years and here she was looking right at me.

Just as I was about to open my mouth Adam came running in from the parking lot. "Zamzam thank god I found you! I called you and Aliyah told me you were here. I'm glad you're saf-" He stopped walking towards me once he saw his mother turn to face him. He fumbled back a step but quickly recovered. I don't know if I'm imagining this but I could've sworn I saw tears in his eyes.

"M-Mom.. Y-You're here..."

OKAY THIS IS THE BEST I COULD DO FOR NOW! I KNOW I SAID I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO UPDATE FOR TWO WEEKS BUT ON MY FREE TIME I FOUND MYSELF WRITING THIS CHAPTER. IT ISN'T EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT TO BE BUT I GUESS ITS GOOD FOR NOW. I'M SORRY THAT I KEPT YOU GUYS WAITING FOR SO LONG! I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER.

STAY

QURUX

MY

QURUXLEYS

MWAH!!:)😘