Chapter 8-Answered

Drew held the file with shaking hands. Her head was spinning as she forced herself to continue to read the placid details of Sara’s home. The house was a two story, uncommon for Ronaline, clean, decorated ordinarily. But then the locks on the outside of the doors and barred windows condemned Sara to the house. Besides three pairs of t-shirts, pair of sweats, and pair of shorts, her dresser drawers consisted of more than twenty pieces of provocative lingerie. Three pairs of lingerie were torn and bloodied in the hamper. Bloodstains were found on the carpet and walls of the living room along with a torn curtain and the sliding glass door.

Drew scanned through the two page report until something caught her eye. From the sliding glass door there was a trail of blood that led into the woods.

She ran, she thought.

***********************

Rebekah looked over the paper at Drew, who was tapping her foot involuntarily against the tiled floor in her office.

“Are you okay?”

Drew nodded her head.

“What do you think?”

Rebekah waved the paper in the air. “I think it’s pretty clear.”

“I mean, what do you think about Sara leaving today?”

“It should be okay but…”

“Arrangements need to be made. I’m working on it. I just needed your approval.” She finished.

Rebekah stared at her as she twirled her hair around her finger. “Okay Drew, you need a break. Go home take a hot shower, drink a good cup of coffee, not this watery, cold hospital stuff, and go for a run.” Drew snorted and smiled at Rebekah.

“I could use all of that but not until Sara is at my home safe and sound. The hospital isn’t the happiest place and I’m not leaving here again without her. “

“Drew, she’s sleeping. At least go grab a cup of coffee. You don’t even have to run home.”

Drew opened her mouth to argue then shut it. Rebekah laughed.

“I knew you couldn’t say no the coffee. Get out of here.”

Drew chuckled in spite of herself. “I am horrible.” She rose up from her seat and fled.                                   

***************

Sara was startled awake by Rebekah, who was leaning over her.