Storytime-Not Everything is Black and White

Everything in my world, in everyone's world, is black and white. Grey and light. Charcoal and pebble.
Quite literally, we have no definition of colour. It's just... A feeling. In my world, once you meet your soulmate, the one, your forever friend, your world feels with colour. First slowly, then vision becomes a flash of bright, until you see what... Well, you see. And when your soulmate leaves you, well, your world fades back to black and white
That's getting ahead of ourselves. It all started one summer morning. I was reading a book in a cafe. Simple, right? My book... The cover turned a crimson. My face brightened-again, literally. My skin flushed, fair and rosy, and my hair grew brown and long. Freckles splashed against my new face, under eyes and just above dimples. The light finally shone through the window, not just a white star. I stood up, marveling. Clear, fluorescent tears flew down my face as I cried in happiness. I whirred around, spotting a teenage girl, almost my age, walking in the door. She was beautiful.
I think she knew we were meant to be too.
We ran at each other, embracing and laughing while crying. She whispered, "How does it feel? Seeing colour?" I sighed, wiping my tears with my now navy-blue sweater. "Amazing." The other people crowding the cafe smiled, some having tears crowding their eyes as well. Some of them were kids and they'd never seen colour before, not sure what to make of the scene. I hope sometime soon they experience the same thing I'm going through.
Years later, we're still married. Our wedding day was perfect. Our life is perfect. I couldn't have asked for more.
Until the one day at the grocery store. The day that changed my life.
I was seventy, holding my Walker tight as I traveled through the commissary. I was simply talking to the cashier when the apples lost color. In a flash my world spun around me. Fading to black and white. Grey and light. Charcoal and pebble.
I cried my heart out, sobbing in the arms of a stranger cashier.
"Ma'am, I'm so sorry."